Unknown 9mm frangible

Does anybody can tell me more about this species?
Length 28,9 mm, non magentic, darkblue anulus, and a simple headstamp…

Grtz
Jaco

That looks like a Delta Frangible Ammunition (DFA) load. From around the late 1990’s to early/mid 2000’s. Winchester actually had a contract with them for Frangible bullets before switching to Sinterfire. If this were a Winchester load, then the index number would be RA9DF, but those were all +P as far as I knew. The headstamp does look similar to what I have from a Winchester box though, as well as the blue primer sealer. The bullet should be around 85gr.

And here is what the DFA headstamp looked like:

Thank you a lot.
The bullet is as far as to see on photo’s 100% identical, nice! Same for the blue primer sealer.
Is there a reasonible explination why Win of DFA dit use an almost blanc headstamp?
Coult it be a test/exp. version?
Grtz
Jaco

I don’t know if your cartridge would be from DFA originally, or a DFA bullet as loaded by Winchester, but due to the blue primer seal, I would think it came from Winchester. I don’t know why the top of the headstamp would be blank, but Lew probably knows.

1 Like

The round was loaded by OTEC Special Products Ltd, Goldalming in the UK. They loaded these with a number of different cases, apparently the cheapest cases they could find. I have examples headstamped NEVINS and H&F as well as the 9mm LUGER headstamp pictured. All came directly from OTEC. I was told that the 9mm LUGER headstamped cases were made by IMI in Israel, but have no documentation. Note carefully that the shape of the “9” is somewhat different from that on the WIN headstamp illustrated, but the headstamps are very similar.

Your cartridge was made in 1992. Robert de Heer, a well known Dutch ammo guy wrote a short article on this round including a box photo. I was sent the article but not the reference. He said that OTEC closed in 1995, and the patents and engineering of the frangible ammunition was taken over by Delta Defense Inc in the US. He also mentions that OTEC also used both Winchester and IMI headstamps for their products.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like

So the projectile and primer seal are very similar, but the projectile is not the DFA variety?

Sorry, Delta Defense Inc became Delta Frangible Ammunition LLC so they were essentially an early version of the DFA loads. In fact, the OTEC loads evolved over time, The one you show and the one Jaco pictures have a more grainy finish. My 9mm LUGER round has a smoother finish as does one of my other OTEC loads. I haven’t compared them with my DFA or WIN loads.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like

does anyone have a picture of the box of the DFA these came in and what would a single cartridge be worth?