Unknown Aluminum bullet 9mmP with Swedish Headstamp

The round cartridge pictured below came out of an old collection. The total weight of the load is 101gr. The turned aluminum bullet is obviously a reload into the case since the case mouth has the remains of a green case mouth seal, but there is no evidence of such a seal on the bullet. My initial reaction when I obtained this round is that it was probably someone (perhaps a small company) in the US playing with ultra-light bullets using surplus cases since this Swedish ammunition was once readily available in the US.

I had not given the round much thought until recently when I got a call from a collector who said he had a couple of rounds that came out of the magazine of a Swedish Lahti pistol. The person he bought the gun from had bought it at Vic’s-for-Guns in Galveston in the 1960s and it was unfired by him since then. He had taken it out of a case of Lahti pistols that had been shipped into the US from a Sweden and had just been opened. The collector bought the gun in the early 1970s and when he got home he discovered seven aluminum bullet rounds in the spare magazine. He described them they and sounded like the round in my collection. Over the years since he bought the gun he had given away most of the cartridges. Now I wonder if these cartridges are actually Swedish
Has anyone seen these cartridges before or have one in their collection. Any idea of their history?

Frankly, I still believe that it was probably made in the US from Swedish cases, but both of the Swedish squeeze bore 9mm rounds have the residue of a case mouth seal on the case and not on the bullet as can be seen on my website at http://gigconceptsinc.com/Swedish-Squeeze-bore.html so this is not conclusive proof.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew, did you ever x-ray your round? Maybe it is a squeeze bore too? (just with other shape than we are used to)
Just a thought…

Never occured to me. The other squeeze bore are steel and copper bullets. No easy access to X-Ray, but I gotta find a place sometime soon.

Thanks for the thougth!

Lew

You need to find a friendly dentist or vet.

A Swedish collector was kind enough to do some research and reported as follows:

[quote]I don’t recognize the round myself, and neither does xxxxxxx (Swedish Defence Materiel Administration, FMV) who has been involved in swedish small arms procurement for decades.
I also forwarded your question to the swedish army officer in charge of Small arms systems, yyyyyyyyy, who has an even longer history in small arms, includion testing and evaluation at the Swedish Combat School pre 1980’s. He thought he might have seen something similar and mentioned possible purposes such as short range training or film range training. He could not remember anything more specific though, so don’t consider this conclusive evidence that the round is swedish. Judging by the weight stated, I guess recoil impulse would be unsufficient to cycle automatic weapons. I note on your site that you are aware of the swedish solution with the black short range training round with a steel ball which cycled the M/45 SMG when fired through the blank firing barrel sans end piece.
I also forwarded your question to zzzzzzzz, currently in the Nammo Small Caliber Division and previouslyin development at the factory in Karlsborg that I assume made the case (judging by the headstamp).
He’s away on a business trip but if he comes back with an answer I’ll keep you posted.

So, to sum things up, I’m sofar unable to identify the round as swedish, and fail to se a purpose for such a design. Sorry!
[/quote]

And subsequently he wrote:

Lots of research but nothing to indicate the round is Swedish, or give any idea of it’s purpose. Still, this round could easily be 40+ years old and and a dead end project so unlikely to be remembered by anyone who is still around. It could have also been put together in the last 20 years here in the US by a shooter who was just playing around.

Cheers,

Lew