Unknown arisaka

found in jilin, haven’t seen this headstamp before

2 Likes

Is there an actual headstamp there? Are those cases brass or steel?

Is it possible the cases were reformed from fired 7.5 French cartridges?

1 Like

The shoulders look too good. Perhaps if found in Vietnam, but probably not in China.

I assume those are snapped primers, and not single flash holes we are looking at, considering the caliber. Also, I note the bullets seem to have been removed, and re-seated improperly. There is a ring on each bullet just above the case mouth which is probably were the cases mouths were crimped into the bullet one way or another. Note that the bullets are seated to different depths, the most obvious being the center round. Seem to have been surely deactivated for one reason or another. Even the shoulders look irregular, the most obvious one there being the second cartridge from the right.

The ring on the head looks like a cancellation of the headstamp, but I don’t see any headstamp remnant to be a cancellation mark.

Interesting rounds. Don’t recall see anything quite like them before.

John M.

If in Japan or China, then they could be some old inerted stage loads for film or maybe a museum display, whereby the bullets are pulled, wood rods or something inserted, and then bullets are reseated to a not quite correct depth, and then chromed or nickeled by the looks of it?

If real cases and bullets, you haven’t solved the origin or lack of base markings.

it’s found by a local digger in Jilin, other arisaka cases he found are normal version, but this one is different

1 Like

As I know the army there were using 6.5/7.9 bullets at that time

These bullets wew found by a local digger,he had pulled out the bullet to clean up powder in the cases

1 Like

It’s found by a local digger in China,bullets were removed to clean up powder. Other arsaka case he found are normal version.

Enlarged portion of the first photo posted by yuuki.

Note the mark circled in blue, to me it looks like the remnants of a headstamp not just a random mark in the brass

Brian

looks like“山” in Chinese.

What would that mean?

Shan = Mountain

“山”means mountain in both Japanese and Chinese

I guess the next question would be "Does “Mountain” have any ammunition context, such as part of the name of an arsenal?

I agree, by the way, that while most of the marks evident on the heads of the cartridges shown do not seem to be anything more than just scars (with, of course, the exception of the quite uniform circle between the edge of the primer and the outside edge of the head), that :“mountain” marking appears to be an actual character stamped on the head.

Thank you, Brian, Hans and Yuuki.

John M.

Shan: Mountain
Shanxi: Western Mountains.
Province west of Biejing, in Northern China.
Shan Xi Arsenal, Taiyuan City.
Captured by Japanese during Sino- Japanese war.
Arsenal was a modern plant installed by the local warlord before the 1937 war, with modern equipment. Japan held onto this area right through the War, producing ammo (6.5) for their own forces.

Ref: Battle of Taiyuan (Wiki)
Ref: Shanxi Arsenal in Taiyuan.

Doc AV

2 Likes

2 Likes