Unknown British Stripper Clip

Unknown Clip that seems to be an en-bloc type. It will hold 6 rounds of 7.62NATO but seems to be a little too loose to be the right cartridge for it.

On the back is the marking:-
RSA 1458
2/112/F G

Has anyone seen anything like this before, any ideas on what it is or who made it?

Right Side

Left Side

Back

Marking on back

Back to the top,

Anyone know anything about this clip?

Firstly, working from first principles:

The clip holds 6 rounds
Therefore, which 6 round magazine rifles are there? (or 12 round?)
M91 Carcano and M1889/1911/1931 Schmidt Rubin.

Eliminate 6,5 Carcano, as this clip is asymmetrical…The Carcano clip is symmetrical, and if a 7,62 Cartridge is loose, the smaller bodied 6,5 Carcano will be even looser. it also eliminates any other cartridge(experimental or service issue), with diameter equal to or smaller than the 7,62 Nato.

Fact: 6x 7,62 cartridges fit in clip, but loosely;
Therefore the proper cartridge for this clip must be of greater diameter than the 7,62 Nato, ie, greated than .470 inch.

Candidates greater than .470 (and rimless) are the French MAS Rifle cartridge (M24/29) at .485 inch, and the Swiss M1911 cartridge ( at .495 )
inch.
The French rifle is eliminated, as it is 5 round stripper fed (5 shot mag for Bolt guns, 10-round mag for Semi-Autos.

That leaves the Swiss rifles>
The swiss had used a 6 round stripper clip, made of cardboard and tinplate, from the 1889 model onwards. The Clip allowes the cartridges to be held by the body of the clip, looks like a “packet or En-Bloc” desing, when in reality, it serves to guide the cartridges into a double column magazine, of 12 (M1889) or 6 (M1911 & M31) round capacity.

The markings seem to denote a change in type…there is a “F” overstamped or cancelled followed by a “G”, a series of experimental prototypes?

I doubt very much that RSA stands for “Republic of South Africa”…In fact the initials probably represent a company or establishement in Switzerland.

My other indications that this is not an “enbloc” clip but a Stripper, is that there are no obvious “Latch Points” for an “enbloc” (such as the pressed out bridge on a Carcano or other “Mannlicher” style clips, or pressed slots in the Garand Clip.

My suggestion is to try fitting 6 of 7,5 Swiss cases ( or failing that, 6 pieces of 1/2 inch dowel) to check the fit.

Maybe some of our Swiss colleagues could be of assistance?
PS, If I remember correctly that the StG57 of Switzerland has a 24 round mag ( 4x6), and this clip could be an improvement to be used with the StG, rather than the S-R series of rifles???

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

DocAv, thanx for the information and your detailed evaluation of the possible avenues of manufacture.

I’ve just stumbled across something that has pin pointed where the clip is from.

If you have the book “The Last Enfield” (about the SA80) by Collector Grade Publications you will find it holds some answers to my questions.

On some of the early prototype XL65 and XL70 rifles it shows similar codes to the markings on this stripper clip
[color=red]RSA 1458
2/112/F G[/color]

On an XL65 (page 46) it’s marked:-
29605/D
RSA 1057

On a XL70 (LSW) (page 68) it’s marked:-
31530/J
RSA 1834

Then on a ‘Cadet’ prototype rifle (page 206) it’s marked:-
[b]51440/K
RSA 1848

RSA 2454[/b]

Further into the book it talks about the short lived experimental 6.25x43.3mm Cartridge that used a necked down .280/30 case. This experimental round was being developed between 1969-1971 and was proposed to be used with the new Enfield Weapon System (which became the SA80).

It lists the rim diameter of the round as 11.99mm which is slightly larger then the 7.62 case (11.94mm).

Maybe this is the clip for this proposed ammunition? or has something to do with prototypes and experiments from around this period or for use with a version of the pre SA80?

I cannot help with identifying the clip, but I agree that the style of lettering and layout is very similar to that used at Enfield. Also the “RSA” possibly stands for Royal Small Arms.

I very much doubt if the clip is meant for the 6.25mm round, as to the best of my knowledge only a No.4 rifle and two ex .280" EM-2 rifles (S/Nos 10 & 12) were converted to this calibre. Also, the round was only ever a ballistic vehicle, the final round would have been a slimmer longer case, similar to the US 6mm SAW. The proposed round was only ever made as a turned brass dummy.

I posted a picture of the 6.25 x 43mm experimental in an earlier post.

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.ph … hlight=7mm

Beyond that I can’t help.

Regards
TonyE