Unknown case 1896 M?

I saw this one at a flea market.

Does anyone know anything about it ?

Casing is marked 96 as I understand that means that is produced in 1896 by the manufacturer, “Marieberg Ammunitions fabrik.”

It looks live and the paper has the following text TGP M/29S .C441.

Can anyone here decipher this one ?

Best regards
Bjorn1 2

1 Like

Case dimensions???

Length, diameter at the mouth of the case & diameter of the base of the case, please.

ahh sorry feel a bit embarrassed for my rookie mistake, I didn’t measure the case as I was hoping to get all details from searching on the TGP M/29S part… usually works but not this time.

Maybe pointing out the obvious that the case is Swedish and I live in Sweden :-)

But I’ll be sure to measure it next time I’m there.

Bjorn

1 Like

Just got the dimensions from the seller. I guess that makes this a M/96 flare gun casing
Still unsure about the marking on the paper though.

Length 95 mm
Opening 25 mm
Base 30 mm

It may be a flare gun case but it is does not appear to be a cartridge for a flare gun. Markings were different.

This is a teargas cartridge and the case is a 1" Nordenfelt.
To what Horst Thielbörger told this one was not officially adopted.

Texz, could you reproduce the headstamp of the main case body for us?
It is almost impossible to read it.

Thanks for the info. Yes that was one of the possibilities we had in mind,
TGP could possibly be short for Tår Gas Patron (tear gas case)

Here is one - https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024453443/25-mm-gaspatron-m-1925

I’ll check it next time I am there
Bjorn

1 Like

So can you give us the reading of the headstamp?

Sorry I don’t have more pictures and I don’t own this case it its located at local flea market but I will check and take better pictures next time I am there.

Thank you

That would be great as I never saw such a case with this kind of headstamp/manufacturer.

Hi!

I have no insights of the m/29 gas cartridge, my notes are only of the erlier m/25 but might give a bit of a aspect around the use.

The m/25 were intended for training, to be used with a signal pistol (Probably m/18). The cartridge were used indoor in a gas chamber to create gas for training and testing of gas masks. The cartridge were not to be used outdoor. The regiments could place a requisition for 10-50 rounds on a yearly basis. Each regiments had different alowences pre-set.

EOD, the bunter of the cartridge looks strange indeed. I have no knowledge of the Nordfelt cases or bunters, and the second cartridge I have seen were with the year of 1899 Marieberg. I might be totally wrong, but the look of things is that there is a say 8x58RD case fused with a Nordfelt cartridge. I have asked Texz to take a closer look on the cartridge when he has it in his hands.

//Chris

1 Like

I will probably be able to check it out tomorrow or possibly next weekend at the latest. Cheers

Chris, this is exactly what I had thought when I saw it first time.
Let us hope Texz will get further with his examination and then tell us.

Did not have the time to go there today but asked for a photo and got this. It reads "STOCKHOLMS * VAPENFABRIK* "

M96_Case

2 Likes

Wonderfull headstamp!!!
This is the factory that was originally Palmcrantz & Co.

So far I saw this headstamp only on 37x94R (Hotchkiss) cases.

I do not knwo how Palmcrantz headstamps looked like (if there were any) but after Palmcrantz had died his companion Nordenfelt took over in 1886 and renamed the factory to “Stockholms Vapenfabrik”. Means the case here was made after this date. I do not know when the factory ceased to use this headstamp then.

Inbetween I got some info from Sweden that is mentioning the use of 8x58R case stubs in such 25.4x95R cases for tear gas loads.

Yes indeed!

Bofors AB bought Stockholms Vapenfabrik and Nordiska Artilleriverkstäderna 1906, moved the production and sold of the equipment at the old factory in 1909. Don’t know for how long the name was used after 1906.

Is the use of case stubs something you have seen before ? and why ? a away to reuse old stock ?

In general it is not that uncommon to have larger cases with small case inserts (complete or shortened or stubs).
It always depends on the exact technical purpose the whole cartridge is serving. Means in some it will be a primary ignitor for the main propellant charge (for example when operating at low temperatures) in other cases it might be the only propellant charge which has to be very small and needs containment during ignition as otherwise the burning surface will become too large and a pressure peak will be the result probably damaging or destroying the gun.
And there are sure more reasons for such design features. Probably even down to profane reuse of cases with large primer pockets which could have been priorly made for larger electric primers (not uncommon with 1" Nordenfelt rounds as they often were used with naval aiminig rifles). So the case here also could simply had a larger primer pocket which needed to be made suitable for a small primer.

As said, many reasons and to be sure we would need to find the documents of those days in order to know exactly.

Ok I understand. Thanks for the information it’s appreciated

This headstamp is also found in 25 mm Palmcrantz cases.

Fede, is the Palmcrantz a different case than the Nordenfelt or do you aim at the naming of the company?
Info on both would be interesting.