Unknown drill

I have in my collection a dummy/drill round, but I am not sure what it is.

the case has 4 holes drilled at 2 different levels, and the bullet has an envelope, so This should be a drill mk IX. but the case is tinned like an inspectors round. the headstamp is for a normal ball mk VII round, so I think this dummy is made from a used case.

Is this a drill round produced for an other country? or is this a local patern?

All info is appreciated

thanks, Joost

I think this dummy/drill was made by A.G.Parker of Birmingham. You could buy similar dummies in this calibre & .30-06 until recently - maybe you still can. There is no record of Parker making these dummies during WW2. They were made post-WW2 for cadets etc. I think you will find the bullet in your .303 dummy/drill is a .30-06 bullet - perhaps you can measure it? Regards JP-C

Hi JohnP-C,

I measured the base of the bullet, it 6.8mm.
I also compared it with a .30-06 produced by Parker, and has the same bullet (also 6.8mm and the same ogive).

thank for the solution…

Joost

[quote=“sir_joost”]Hi JohnP-C,

I measured the base of the bullet, it 6.8mm.
I also compared it with a .30-06 produced by Parker, and has the same bullet (also 6.8mm and the same ogive).

thank for the solution…

Joost[/quote]

Joost,

The bullet diameter, both those with a core and those empty jackets fitted over a wood distance pieces are commonly .308" diameter or therabouts even on official issue drill rounds. This was a deliberate practice to avoid wear to the critical beginning of the rifling or a bullet becoming stuck in the bore during drill. Although a normal ball round should chamber and extract without causing wear or becoming stuck, drill rounds get a bit of a beating and get distorted.

gravelbelly

Thanks to you all :.)

Joost