Unknown DWM-Cartridge

There is a cartridge for 20 years or so in my collection, which I can´t identify. Maybe one of the members can provide information, which will help. I coundn´t find any information about this item.

The dimensions can be taken from the first picture. The cartridge could be a 19,5mm or 20mm(depending on the position of the measurement) x 120mm. The projectile consists of a copper-body with a screwed-in steel-tip. This steel-tip is secured to the copper-body by a steel-pin.

The driving-band is made of lead and seems rolled to the copper-body.

The type of cartridge appears like a subcaliber-round used in bigger guns for me. But this is from the stomach. The Headstamp shows D.W.u.M. for Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken at 12 o´clock and the letter K. at 6 o´clock. At 9 and 3 o´clock there is the “DWM-Bomb”-Logo.

As I couldn´t find information about this cartridge, maybe the design/shape of the logo will
give a rough guess of the age of this item. All help will be appreciated. Thank´s in advance.

This cartridge is certainly not unknown, but unidentified. Several examples are shown in the ECRA Caliber Data Viewer under number 19 120 CBC 010. Here it’s listed as an experimental German MG cartridge based on a 12 gauge brass shotshell.It is mentioned in the European Cartridge Collectors Club newsletter 234 and later on in the ECRA newsletter 524.W.D.de Hek mentions it in his book Military Cartridges Part 3, Robert Hawkinson in his book Big Bore Ammunition lists it. In our book Cartridge Cases, under number 9990, my associates Andersen and Strømstad show this case type. Everybody wants to know more about the cartridge.

Hi Vidar,

sorry for taking so long to reply.
I´d like to post some of my thoughts, which are driven by the view from the direction of the weapons-side.
I can´t imagine, that ths cartridge was designed for the use in a machinegun. I´m in the defense-business and I worked a lot with automatic weapons (machine-guns and autom. cannon). There are two aspects, which speak against the machinegun-theory. The first is, that machineguns and automatic cannon are “treating” the cartridgecases normally not very gentle, if it is not of the Gatling-type. The forces during the feeding-cycle and the extraction-process are quite high. The cartridge-case, its base and the rim of this cartridge-case doesn´t look very robust and sturdy and has not the necessary shape or a sufficient bearing-surface for an extractor. The second aspect, which votes against the theory is the length of the cartridge-case. The length of the case is pretending the length of the weapon-housing. In addition to a possible bolt, the recoil-springs and the necessary feed-path, the weapon must have been quite long, if it was a machine-gun. If not an automatic-cannon. I know, that there are other cartridges, which are designed for an automatic-cannon, which show a similar length, but this cartridges are a lot more sturdy than the mentioned one. This cartridge seems not to be designed for the use in combination with a belt- or link-System, which has been used during that time. If at all, there must be some kind of a Magazine or a Clip. Also the shape of the projectile with the step at the joint between copper-body and the steel-tip doesn´t support the feeding-cycle.
From my stomach, this cartridge looks more like a subcaliber-round used in larger artillery-pieces, like the 1-inch aiming-gun.

Hello rainer308,
I agree with you. I was merely responding to your plea for information and pointed out that the cartridge is in fact known in various cartridge collector publications. Unfortunately no real useful information has turned up so far. Aside from that, it’s interesting to look at the Szakatz MG shown in the book German Machineguns, by Daniel D. Musgrave, Revised edition 1992.

Vidar, I assume you are aware that the Szakats used a different (19mm) cartridge.

Is that steel pin slightly raised above the surface of the copper band? I have never seen a band secured in that way.

That projectile looks suspect. It seems to have a much newer look than the age of the headstamp.

Falcon,

the steel-pin of my cartridge is flush with the copperbody and it prevents the steel-tip to untighten.
The projectile consists of the copperbody, the screwed-in projectile-tip and the steelpin. The copper-body extends quite deep into the cartridge-case. I got an x-ray-photo of this cartridge years ago, but couldn´t find it again. As much as I remember, the copper-body extends appr. 20 to 25mm
into the casing. The lead-driving-band seems roll-pressed into a groove or notch and overlapping.
The new look of the steeltip is caused by the cleaning and the derust-process. The steel showed some corrosion-signs. There is some space in the copperbody underneath the steel-tip.