Unknown flechette

I have this 30-06 flechette cartridge in my collection.
Headstamp is FA 53 with red annulus. It has a wooden sabot with a steel dart.
The sabot is a one-piece construction which must have been a nightmare to produce because the form is pretty fragile and complex.

anybody any ideas ?
an early experimental or just a fake

Thanks
René

Renè, very interesting item. Production though is easier than one would think.
It is much up to the maker in which order the machining is done and what “supports” are used.

I just wonder how the lower section of the proj. is supported in a regular case like this. Here one would expect something like at least 3 flutes as we know them from dummy cases.
Maybe at some point the case was added later as the proj. could have been a “single” and somebody decided to add a case?

EMAIL THE INFORMATION AND PICTURES TO BILL IN TUCSON - HE LIKELY WILL KNOW THE ANSWER.

In the meantime, I received some additional information on this round:

The person whom I got this cartridge from, received it during a visit at Frankford Arsenal in the early to mid-seventies.
He got it out of a drawer of one of the engineers but received no further information on this round.

His impression was that the sabot was made of a kind of pressed fiberboard or so and not of wood.
It’s hard to tell from the pictures and even if you hold the piece in your hand.

Not much news but it seems to be legitimate round

René

The material looks much like what is known in Germany as “Pertinax”.
It is layers of cloth bound with phenolic resin. A very early type of plastic which was quite good to work with.