Unknown for me, 7,9x57 mauser WW1 dummy

I took this Cartridge two days ago because I was questionning about the headstamp. I failed to identify it, can somebody shed light on it? It is non-magnetic and It seems that it is a copper blackened case:
weight : 12,66 grams
7%2C9x57%20mauser%20EX%20S%20(4)

below a brass one:
weight : 13,17 grams
7%2C9x57%20mauser%20EX%20S%20(2)

and an steel copperplated blackened one:
weight : 10,73 grams
7%2C9x57%20mauser%20EX%20S%20(5)

Edit: After I posted my response text below, laurent added additional photos. My response refers to what is now the top photo.

This is an Exerzierpatrone S (see the S in the headstamp), introduced after adoption of the S cartridge. The previous model was Exerzierpatrone 88, which was 2 mm longer (like the Patrone 88 with its round nose bullet) and had no S in the headstamp. Those I have seen were brass-colored, not black. Exerzier = drill

The odd-shaped symbol is a combination of letters O and S and stands for Oberschlesische Metallwerke (Upper Silesian Metal Works), which also made ordinary cases during WW1.

Thank you very much, I already had identify it as an exercier patrone S, but had never seen this kind of exercier made in WW1, not sure if it was originaly blackened or if it is just oxydation. I also hadn’t though that the symbol stand for OS.

The top cartridge is made by AEG, Belin
The middle one by Spandau
The bottom one was made by Huck NĂĽrnberg. This one must have a CWS case blackened.

2 Likes

Dutch,
you are more competent in these matters than I am. But according to the usual sources, the OS-Monogram means “Oberschlesisch …” while your interpretation as AEG would imply “[Kabelwerke] Oberspree”.
Or am I barking up the wrong tree and the headstamp symbol is not OS at all?

Jochen, OS did not made Ex rounds.
It is hard to see in the picture from Laurent.
I can show you a better picture from a head stamp of Dez. 1914.

Rgds

AEG%201914

3 Likes

Thank you willem for the identification and the nice picture with a perfect headstamp. I would like to know your thoughs about the case material used for this one. Regards

The one piece WW1 Ex. rounds were all made from brass
There is one exception. The by you showed Huck NĂĽrnberg from July 1917.
This comes by an order from Jan. 14th 1916 that Ex. (practice) ammunition in the furture should only be made from steel.

Dutch, Thanks for your contributions to the Forum. You really bring great insight and information to the rest of us. I’d offer to buy you a beer at Aerzen but I already owe you so many we could never get to it.

Sincerely, thanks for your contributions.
Lew

Lew, no problem.
We meet at the bar in Saint Louis. :-)

Thank you,
but for me, the edge of the base which is unblackened with time and wear is clearly copper color. I added in my first post the weight of the different cartridges to make comparisons, could you weigh the one you shown above, please?

Dutch, thank you for the clarification. I saw on OS where no OS was.

Hi Laurent,

I took the weight oft the cartridges.

The AEG cartridge has a weight of 13,09 grams Unfortunately I don’t have January. I took the month March.

The Spandau is 12,87 grams

The CWS 10,51 grams.

Rgds

Thank you very much for the time spent to do this nice display. However I believe that except for the ones made by Huck nürnberg which are clearly lighter, it will be difficult to determine case material only by the weigh. And I don’t want to clean the nlack of the case to see what is under… will try to bring it to an ecra’s show. Thanks again.