Unknown French(?) Medium Caliber Gun & Cartridge Circa 1917

A question about the identification of a gun and associated cartridge shown in a short WW1 (circa 1917) French movie (video) of a weapons test/demonstration; shown at the 2 minute mark in the movie: cnc-aff.fr/internet_cnc/Inte … 43850.html

Here is an image captured from the movie, it shows individual cartridges being loaded by hand for single shot firing of the gun-

Enlarged portion-

Is this French?

Caliber/cartridge?

A precursor for the 13mm Hotchkiss?

Any info, guesses are welcomed!

Brian

Brian, very interesting video, thanks for sharing.

This is a French Delaunay-Belleville machine gun tested during 1918-19 and its chambered for the rare 20 x 115 SR Delaunay-Belleville round.

Regards,

Fede

Brian, thanks for sharing this!
Fede, did these cartridges have the projectile seated very deep? The OAL looks already close to 155mm.
@ all:

• are any images or drawings available of this cartridge?
  • anybody to ID any of the other weapons and calibers/cartridges?

Alex, sorry, case length is 115 mm and overall length was around 158-166 mm.

Ah, ok!

Fede,

WOW! That was a fast ID! Thanks very much.

Alex,

I wonder if the gun shown in the movie, pictured below, is firing the French 37 x 202mmR cartridge, pictured & discussed here: bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/4 … r-loadings

As Alex asked earlier, does anyone have a picture of the 20 x 115 SR Delaunay-Belleville cartridge?

Brian

here is an article from my friend J. Barlerin

JP

Great info Jean-Pierre! Thanks a lot!

Seconded - excellent info! I’ve heard of this one before, but not seen the drawing.

The gun appears to have been automatic rather than semi-automatic - is there any info about the rate of fire?

Jean-Pierre,

Thank you for posting the information on 20 x 115mm SR Delaunay Belleville.

Brian

In the IAA bulletin #441/6 is also an article about the 20x115 cartridge.

Rigby,

Thank you for pointing this out!

IAA Journal #441 (January/February, 2005) pages 4 to 9; The French 20 mm Delaunay-Belleville Machine Gun and its Cartridge by Philippe Regenstreif. Complete with a picture of the cartridge.

Brian

I have IAA back numbers on disk up to No. 400, and on my computer from around 470 onwards, but can’t find the ones in between…

Tony,

Email sent.

Brian

Many thanks, Brian!