Unknown headstamp "SN" on 9mmP

Recently a friend asked me if I knew the headstamp “SN” on a 9mmx19 case. I do not own the case myself and received a drawing of the headstamp. I can’t find anything about it in my references. Is there anyone familiar with this headstamp and has information about it.SN Headstamp on 9mmP.pdf (12.4 KB)

The SN stands for Snail, and it is a product of Libra in Jevisovice in the Czech Republic. I believe they have been out of business for some time.

I have seen the ball round illustrated and called the “Bodyguard” load. My only example with this headstamp is a proof load with a red base and a knurled rim which I obtained in 2011.This specimen has a small “x” on the primer.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like

Thanks Lew for your quick response and information.

Kind regards,
Richard

Vlastimil Libra, the designer / owner of Libra A S., was caught selling ammo to two men who claimed to be terrorists. It was a sting operation and he was convicted for arms dealing. Like Delorean, he thought an illegal deal could give his company a financial “shot in the arm” that would keep him from going bankrupt.

Thanks SidneyBroadshead for the additional information.

Kind regards,
Richard

Sidney,
I have heard that story. I also understand all the ammunition the company had on hand, including a significant quantity of Snail rounds are being held in sealed storage by the Czech Government (or were a few years ago). Apparently, a Swiss Police Training facility, or perhaps testing facility, was trying to obtain some Snail ammunition and was put in touch with the Czech authorities but they wouldn’t or couldn’t sell any of the Libra ammo to the Swiss government! This ammo may have already have gone to the burner, or will end up there eventually!

Cheers,
Lew