Unknown Little Bullet w/Weird Projectile Crimping

I confess, I know nothing about small caliber ammunition and have no clue what kind of bullet this is. What I found interesting was the way the projectile is attached/crimped into the case. It looks as if it has 3 very tiny pin sized dents at equal distances from each other. I have never seen or noticed this before in any other ammunition I have come across. Is this normal and what kind of bullet is it. Is this a Makerov (My only guess).

Jason
PS: My Godson found it with a few other rounds at South Beach in the sand.

Jason

Those are called stab or point crimps. Fairly common on British and Continental cartridges.

I know nothing else about the bullet or cartridge.

ray

It is a Romanian (22) 7.62x25 Tokarev round, mainly for CZ52s and TT33 pistols. Very common stab neck crimp.

PS Jason

Stab crimps can be found on US cartridges also, but not as common as overseas ammo.

ray

A lot of British “stab” crimping was elongated looking like it was done with a small screwdriver.

Now an interesting question would be cutoff dates. I would say it was still widely used for British military ammo up to the end of WW2 and much later in the old Eastern Bloc but that is hardly definitive.

Would anybody be able to flesh it out a bit in terms of who/what/when?

I have this crimp in some of my 7,63 Mauser cartridges.
Martin

Vince

That is usually called a “stake” crimp. I think it’s still used on sporting cartridges, especially the boomers. I have a couple boxes of fairly recent 416 Rigby by Rigby & Co and they are all stake crimped.

Ray

Martin’s comment about the appearance of this stab crimp on the 7.63m/m Mauser agrees with my own observations and I think this was the source of this type crimp on the Tokarev cartridge. Such crimping became necessary for many smokeless cartridges which were used in arms of heavy recoil, tubular magazines, and/or violent feed mechanisms. Unlike black powder, smokeless powder was almost never used as a compressed charge which could help support the bullet against being driven back into the case. And the feed cycle of the Mauser pistol is such that bullets can be driven back into the case, causing jams or pressure spikes.
Crimping also is found in black powder cartridges, but there it is primarily used to insure good combustion (via increased bullet resistance to movement) and (particularly in revolvers) preventing the bullet from creeping forward from the discharge of previous rounds. JG

It is a common crimp on many european cartridges.Here a french 7,63 mm Mauser

Thanks so much everyone for IDing this round and explaining the type of crimping to me. Definitely something I have never seen or noticed before. Thank you.

Jason