Unknown round

Here is a steel case shell.
look at the rim and the groove;
Who has such a round in his collection ?
And who has some idea of what is it ?
thanks
Jean-Pierre

Headstamp (if present) and precise mesurements?

Does the shell use a primer or a percussion cap? What are its dimensions? It resembles a .41 Roper, except that the ‘belted’ portion above the groove is not as wide as on the typical Roper.

No hstp
It is about 40 mm diameter

It uses a primer.
It is 40 mm in diameter

If the case is about 240mm long it could be a 40mm Swiss Hispano-Suiza for AA gun.

case length : 183 mm
Rim diameter : 47.20
Neck diameter : 37.20
Base diameter : 43.25

Have you a picture of the Hispano suiza ?

Thanks
JP

[quote=“jean-pierre”]Here is a steel case shell.
look at the rim and the groove;
Who has such a round in his collection ?
And who has some idea of what is it ?
thanks
Jean-Pierre

[/quote]

Please give the mouth , base and length measurements. Thank you.

they are just before your question
jp

This fellow from my collection looks like it might be the little brother of yours. This is so far unidentified.
It is an unheadstamped loaded round with a deep seated cloth wrapped projectile and percussion primer.

[quote=“CSAEOD”]This fellow from my collection looks like it might be the little brother of yours. This is so far unidentified.
It is an unheadstamped loaded round with a deep seated cloth wrapped projectile and percussion primer.
[/quote]
What are the dimensions ?
JP

I don’t have this any longer so can’t measure it for you. You can see by the ruler that it is a lot smaller than yours.

the rim looks different.Do you remember to who you sold it ?
JP

So nobody has such a round like that (or other dimension) in his collection ?
JP

JP–Hard to say if “nobody” has one based on the response on this Forum. Only about 10% of IAA members participate, not to mention world-wide collectors. One area where very few of the major collectors are online is shot shells. You are about the only only one. I am not sure why that is as there are several U.S. Experts in the field of shot shells.

Could this be a punt gun case? I would like to see the base.