Unknown (to me) case , .28-30 Zischang?

Here is another item from my junk box I would like some help identifying.
It is unheadstamped.

Rim: 12.38 mm (0.488")
Base: 10.17 mm (0.400")
Neck: 7.68 mm (0.302")
Length: 46.79 mm (1.842")

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

8.15 x 46R. Very popular target cartridge in Europe.

Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the quick reply.

I had considered the 8.15x46R but the case mouth dimensions listed in Andersens “Cartridge Cases” and COW was about 8.75 mm (0.347"). This has a case mouth (neck) diameter of 7.68mm (0.302").

Inside the neck is a white paper(?) residue from a paper patched bullet or Sabot?

Paul

Berdan primed? Jack

Jack,

Looks to be Boxer primed. 0.200" diameter primer cavity.

Paul

I think the case is a .32-35 Stevens which has been necked for a bullet on the order of .265-.275 in. Base diameter and overall case length match the Stevens round pretty closely. Jack

Paul, very interesting case. I think it is a .28-30 Zischang, an early “wildcat” made by August Oscar Zischang of Syracuse, NY (born in Germany). He used a necked down .32-35 Maynard or Stevens Everlasting case -Stevens in this case- that was loaded only with powder because the bullet was seated ahead of the case.

I’ll try to find more information about it.

Regards,

Fede

Fede and Jack,

Thanks for the replies.

Digging deeper into the junk box I found another case very similar to the one above. Dimensions or very close but it has a slightly different neck profile and an off center “U” headstamp.

unk U hs

Rim: 12.51 mm
Base: 10.19 mm
Neck: 7.64 to 7.80 mm
Length:46.24 mm

I assume it’s the same as above. Any t thoughts on the headstamp?

Paul

UMC made the .32-35, with headstamp (and were the only maker to do so?), but the orientation of the U as presented here is hard to imagine as part of a conventional headstamp. This stamped case appears to be pocketed for the large Boxer primer, but my example (in the UMC SH style) is adapted to the small primer. Jack

Zischang’s rifles and those of his contemporaries are much treasured and are still shot in competition today. The .28 calibers appeared about 1900, after King’s Semi-Smokeless powder became available on the open market. They were designed for use in offhand (standing) matches shot at 200 yds distance, with strict rules and many shots fired, sometimes 100. Prizes were often a lot of money, sometimes enough to support a family for a year. The .28s produced less recoil than the larger .32s, therefore less stress on the shooter in a match lasting hours, but the smaller bore fouled so badly with black powder that they were impractical until KSS came along. The big money matches ended with WW1. The winners of present day matches get their picture in a magazine or posted on line.

The Zischang case was contemporary with the .28-30 Stevens. The Stevens case was so long that it could not be used in rifles with Martini-type actions. The loads were mild and cases were reloaded a great many times. Fired cases were not resized, simply reprimed, and soon took on the external dimensions of the chamber they were fired in. Consulting a list of dimensions will only give you clues.

Sometimes, then and now, the serious shooters of these rifles used only a single cartridge case in a match, de- and re-priming and reloading with powder and a powder-retaining wad in the time between his turns to shoot. Most frequently, the bullet was seated in the breech in front of the cartridge case. That provided for very long case life, perhaps even a thousand shots.

Waterman, thanks for the information.

Paul

The .28-30 Stevens case and the .32-35 are often described as being of ‘everlasting’ or at least ‘semi-everlasting’ type, meaning fairly heavy bodies and especially heavy bases. I suspect the cases seen here may have been opened up from ‘small’ to ‘large’ Boxer size, a procedure that would likely have been ill-advised in the typical case, even the nominally ‘solid head’ type, of this period. Jack

Jack, J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. also manufactured an “Everlasting” .32-35 case using the No. 2 or No. 2 1/2 primer (UMC used the No. 1 1/2). It was a thin walled case interchangeable with the regular .32-35 cartridge by UMC.

Regards,

Fede

Fede: Thanks for the information on the Stevens cases. Since UMC seemingly had not made the .32-35 by 1885 (the last date of my UMC catalogs) it seemed there likely was another, earlier, source of at least the cases. Jack

I shoot a Stevens 28-30 rifle, have been shooting the same rifle with the same cases since 1968. My original cases are UMC, all for Large Rifle primers, although I use Large Pistol primers in them. I started with about 30 such cases in 1968. I have lost 3 because the primer pockets loosened. New cases with primer pockets for Small Rifle/Pistol are made by Bertram in Australia, but they have a 10 to 20 % failure rate before firing. Prep steps are clean & decrease, anneal, then full-length resize. If you do that to 40 new cases, you may have 36 good ones. New cases can be turned from rod stock (Rocky Mountain Cartridge Company). I specified Small Pistol primer pockets. I have 40 but have never used them.