Unknown tube

Some time ago I buyed another ammo collection, different stuff. Between this was this tube. It’s made of plastic, and had at least two small bulbs/ ampoules in it. Both sides of the tube are sealed. Each ampoule has another color and they both have a small ‘handle’. The ampules are together, but seperated from a sort of cristals. On the outside of the tube, at the position of the cristals, is a black marking. Because it was between ammunition, “something” in my mind says it’s ammo related, maybe a kind of detonator, ignited bij breaking the two ampoules…
Who?

20190624_135234

20190624_135258
20190624_135315

1 Like

Those beak-like nipples (handles) look like they are meant to be cut and stuff to be squeezed out. So I theorize that they are lubricating oils and brown particle agglomeration is oil spill material to soak extra oil.

Vlad, these are glass ampoules. The nipples are from the sealing process which involves melting the glass.
The brownish granular material seems to be a soaking detergent or retarder.

This could be a chemical warfare training aid.
HANDLE WITH CARE!

1 Like

Be EXTREMELY careful with these - preferably, get rid of them!!!
These German chemical vials were used to detect different chemical warfare gases and contain various chemicals that react with the different gases in certain ways to indicate which one is present, if any. The whole vial was inserted into a device in which the user would puncture the vial and by means of a hand pump, air was pumped through the vial and the solid content would change color if its specific reagent gas was in the air.

1 black band + 2 glass ampoules with liquid indicates that it contains TOLIDINE - which is a potent carcinogen, and also is toxic.
For the curious this item (1 black band + 2 glass ampoules of liquid) was used to detect hydrogen cyanide.

As a very serious and heartfelt NB:
Should anyone ever come across one of these vials, marked with two green bands, and containing 1 ampoule of liquid, 1 ampoule of a solid, stay far away. These contain either sodium cyanide or potassium cyanide as well as pyridine.
Needless to say the cyanide is highly toxic (one vial contains more than enough to immediately stop your respiratory system and leaving you for dead (one vial contains 80 mg of cyanide, 50 mg is a lethal dose for an adult)), and the pyridine is toxic as well.

Either ends have a very thin plastic film/plate which is easily punctured, squeezed out of place, or otherwise moved.

In short - these are NOT worth collecting. This coming from someone who has more “exciting” ammo than he really cares for.

These vials float up on Norwegian beaches every now and then as many crates of such vials were dumped in the last months of WW2 and the time after.

Here’s a PDF from the Norwegian armed forces research institute describing each color coding and its contents.

Stay safe!
Ole

4 Likes

Pyridine is a potent asphyxiant, if I remember my chemistry. Pepper needs one of these for his collection.

Gee Vlad - he’s only just retired and you’re trying to kill him already!

3 Likes

Gentlemen, thanks for the very quick and solid response. I did not trust this thing, that’s why I was, and am, very carefull with this stuff. I kept it already in a bigger tube covered in cotton. I will let it destroyed on the right way.
I do know HCN, I have worked with the gass a lot of times when I was young (55 years ago, helping my father in the greenhouses, growing tomatoes. HCN was used as pesticide then, just a 2 kg cannister, open it, take a teaspoon of the powder out and put it on a piece of paper on the ground. Repeat this every 15 meters while walking backwards. Oh, and no gasmask, just keep walking, but sometimes you could smell the bitter almond scent …a little, so… walk faster. But I survived, so did my dad)

Thanks for response, there is a lot of knowledge on IAA!

NB: Tennsats, thanks for the PDF, very usefull!

Greetings,
Jaco