Unusual Case Neck Crimps On Royal Ordnance 30MM Rarden Ammo

I was just given a bunch of great factory brochures from a friend and noticed these unsual 30MM cases with crimps on the neck/shoulder area that I have never seen before. The brochure made no mention of their function.

Jason

[quote=“APFSDS”]I was just given a bunch of great factory brochures from a friend and noticed these unsual 30MM cases with crimps on the neck/shoulder area that I have never seen before. The brochure made no mention of their function.

Jason

[/quote]

Jason,

I am wondering if those “crimps/flutes” are really reflections off the shiny brass of something out of camera shot. Otherwise they are real strange features. It is also suspicious that the photographer took the time and trouble to line all of the crimps up don’t you think?

gravelbelly

I’d say it’s a result of light reflection. The three rounds on the right do not seem to be fluted at the case shoulder, but reflection is more apparent. Plus I can’t think of any logical reason for the presence of fluting (which doesn’t mean there isn’t one).

Somewhere from the web:

I’m not sure? The three rounds to the right are completely different and the same DS rounds EOD posted.

I attempted to blow the photo up but it does not help that much to clarify. It could be a reflection?

J

[quote=“APFSDS”]I’m not sure? The three rounds to the right are completely different and the same DS rounds EOD posted.

I attempted to blow the photo up but it does not help that much to clarify. It could be a reflection?

J

[/quote]

Looking at this enlarged image I see a continuation of the odd “flutes/reflections” on the projectiles. The light/dark lines match exactly those on the case shoulders.

gravelbelly

That’s it for sure! Thanks big time, you totally nailed it.