Unusual Speer 9x19 headstamp

Just ran across a handful of Speer 9x19mm empty cases that have a headstamp layout I’ve not seen before. It says “SPEER” at 12 o’clock, “9x19” at 6 o’clock, “10” at 3 o’clock and “026” at 9 o’clock. The “10” and “026” are oriented vertically (like some French military headstamps I’ve seen) and are in a smaller size/font. What do these numbers represent? I suspect a lot or contract number and the year “2010”…

Are there other similar Speer headstamps out there?

AKMS

I understand this is a Speer contract for the French police, exactly who I don’t know. I have never seen the original box. The contract was from about 2008. I have a load dated 09 009, and a case dated 09 010. Your case is lot 026 of 2010. I have not seen one that late.

Has anyone else documented any other lot numbers?

Cheers,

Lew

AKMS, did you find those cases on a public range, or some other source?

Evidently, some lots of this French Police Contract load were sold commercially, perhaps rejected for delivery to France for some reason not pertaining to use-safety. Lot 009 of 09 was such a lot. It was sold in normal Speer boxes correct for the Gold Dot load, not in the boxes that it comes in at the French Police.

I can report a fired case with lot 000 of 08 (not a typographical error). I think it is the pilot lot, but not sure. The headstamp lettering is quite different from my 009/09 round, especially 9x19 mark, which doesn’t even look like Speer’s work.

Cases were found on a public range within the last year or so. I’m sorting through a full 5 gallon bucket of brass I’ve been collecting since last year…

Edit to add that sometimes local police use the range, mostly sherrif’s deputies. Our state police use .40 S&W and local PD use .45 ACP, so I think this 9x19mm was used by just a regular citizen shooter…

Anyone want a few of these before they go off to the scrap yard?

AKMS

Yes, another lot number. I recovered about 15 SPEER 9x19 with 041 vertically at 9 o’clock and 10 (vertically) at 3 o’clock. Apparently came in Independence box, loaded with 115-grain FMJ, and Speer lot number D26S3 (26 April 2011).

I have a headstamp photo with “014 09” on it (just in case someone’s keeping a list of known dates).

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Evidently, some lots of this French Police Contract load were sold commercially, perhaps rejected for delivery to France for some reason not pertaining to use-safety. Lot 009 of 09 was such a lot. It was sold in normal Speer boxes correct for the Gold Dot load, not in the boxes that it comes in at the French Police.

I can report a fired case with lot 000 of 08 (not a typographical error). I think it is the pilot lot, but not sure. The headstamp lettering is quite different from my 009/09 round, especially 9x19 mark, which doesn’t even look like Speer’s work.[/quote]

Hi,
000 of 08 is the pilot lot for test. And 026 is the lot number. This is an order for France (Police, Gendarmerie, Customs and Prison Administration). Now everything is common for Authorities (weapons: SIG PRO 2022 and ammunition) for better prices.

I really must learn how to take close-up pictures.

From John Moss.

Here is a picture of some French Police contract boxes. The colum of
three boxes on the left were all from RUAG in Switzerland and the
ammunition made there, although the headstamp for all three boxes is
“GECO SX 9x19” and the primer has a black seal instead of the more
common DAG red or green seals found on Geco ammo.

The two boxes on the right column are more germane to this thread, as
they are for two different agencies - the National Police and the one
above it for the Administration for Penitentiaries (the French Prison
System). They are for the Speer ammunition that has a 124 grain Gold
Dot bullet, a Speer headstamp, and the oddly-place three-digit lot
numbers and dates at the 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock position on the
headstamp, respectively. I ddo not know the mean of the letters “COS”
and “CDP” which appear after the “9x19” caliber deisgnation on the box top.

Photo by and boxes from the collection of John Moss

Nice photos John. I don’t have either of the Speer boxes. In fact, I have never seen them. Perhaps someone will bring examples of these to the ECRA meeting this fall!

Lew

Acronym
COS : Cartouche Opérationnelle de Service
COP : Cartouche Opérationnelle de Police

Here is the “Gendarmerie” one for the GD Speer

And the RUAG for “Gendarmerie” training

Domi

Domi - Great boxes. Thanks for posting. What do the letters ET LT stand for?

hi John,

ET= étui (case), LT= Laiton (brass)

Domi

Here is 2 headstamps with nickel plated cases:

I found them empty so I don’t know the load and who used them.

Domi

Domi, Great stuff! I have not seen either the box or the nickel plated Speer French contract round. Thanks!

Lew

Lew, actually I can’t tell you if the nickel plated cases are commercials products or from the French Police contract.

Domi

Domi - thanks for posting the pictures of the nickeled-case rounds. An American variation I have never seen!
The headstamp should indicated French Police, especially in the context of the cases being found in France. Great stuff! Don’t pass by any of these fired cases you find! :-)

Specially for Lew, same box than above but with the lot number print on a side:

Does anyone know the meaning of LEW?

Domi

Clearly the “LEW” means it is my box and belongs in my collection. Feel free to send it anytime!

I wish!!!

Actually the LEW is for Lewiston and is the DOD code assigned to the Speer plant in Lewiston ID.

Perhaps dArtagnan can explain the rest of the box code.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Lew