US Caliber .45 T30 Tracer

So I picked up a box of US Caliber .45 T30 Tracer from the Ormsbee collection, as I posted in another thread. I cannot find much info anywhere on them…

From the T number, I guess it was still experimental at this time. It has a blank .45 20 round box wrapped in a paper/foil wrapper that has the nomenclature on it. They are steel cases, FA 1945 headstamp…the bullets are red tipped, and have a strange cross or “+” shaped incision on the tip, you can see it in this shot…

Whats the background on these, when did they transition to an “M” number? Was this a good find? (Well, since I don’t have a box of it in my collection, I guess for me its a good find!)

.45acp Cutaways

Hi PZJGR,

I can only recommend H,W,S volume II.
There is some good info about this cartridge. Besides experimental lots, FA also produced
lots FA S-1 through S-30 of which your box seems to be part of.
The T number never went onto a M number. After T-30 came T-73 and T-92

nice box anyway.
cheers
René

PZJGR–If it has not already occurred, you can expect all the cases and bullets to crack at the neck. Almost all of the .45 ACP Tracers I have seen are cracked due to the adsorbing of moisture by the tracer compound. Short of pulling the bullet and removing the tracer compound, I know of no way to prevent this damage.

Hey Ron, I just checked the rounds, and knock on wood, right now all 15 (there are 5 missing…) look good, no splits…If I see them starting, I guess I will have to pull them…

PZJGR–By the time you see a crack developing in the case the damage has already been done to the bullet. It is only a matter of time. I have about 6 different variations, including an early Green Trace round, all of which were in perfect condition when purchased 30 years ago, and all have cracked the bullets & case. I am not talking about the normal hairline crack you see on rifle case necks, but BIG cracks half the length of the case and as much as 1/16 inch wide.