US caseless small-arms ammo, 1960s?

A friend has contacted me in search of information and illustrations concerning American experiments with caseless small-arms ammunition in the 1960s. Can anyone assist?

Thanks for any help.

This photo might jog a memory? I’m interested in the fourth round from the right:

From left to right: 5.56x45 with Monad bullet, 4.5mm Schirnecker, 9/4mm Kaltmann (development round, with part-metal case), 5.56mm Folded, 5.56mm Hughes Lockless, 5.56mm US caseless, 6mm Voere caseless, early HK G11 4.7x21 round, final G11 4.7x33

From left to right:

The standard round with red paper primer
A broken one showing the internal combustible sleeve
Propellant/primer variant
Propellant variant
Projectile/propellant and primer variant
An ‘unloaded’ round without primer
A phenolic resin dummy
’Skinny’ variant
Propellant/primer vairant with silk cover showing the unfortunately typical destructive oxidation common to US rounds.

I’m not sure exactly on the timeframe of these telescoped rounds. I suspect they are somewhat later than the above rounds.

Telescoped rounds should be caseless cartridges developed by Hercules company about 1960.

Those telescoped rounds were designed by Hercules, Inc. and patented in 1969 (filled in 1967). These were proposed for a lockless LLMG produced by Hughes Tool Co. (became Hughes Helicopters & Ordnance Systems in 1972) wich was actually chambered for those 5,56 x 30 mm square case telescoped rounds (“chicklet”) but was also advertised as with “Caseless Convertibility”.

Thank you very much, gentlemen, that’s most helpful.

The link listed here: dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD … tTRDoc.pdf
shows a Frankford Arsenal report, dated 1962, titled COMBUSTIBLE AMMUNITION FOR SMALL ARMS. Part 2. Development of a Combustible Small Arms Cartridge

Brian

We had a series of these in our sale 10 & the information about ‘case’ manufacture from Frank Hackley, in a nut-shell was:

Made in the late 1960’s by Frankford Arsenal, had the cases manufactured by using a bonding agent / powder slurry in a mold, and then vacuum formed.

Here is the link for Combustible Ammunition for Small Arms Part 1: Development of Self-Contained Propellant Charge. Frankford Arsenal, 1960
dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD … tTRDoc.pdf

Brian