US Made 8 mm Lebel Bullets

Does anyone have a checklist of markings found on US made 8 mm Lebel bullets?

8mm lebel US made question?

Fede

I ONLY HAVE 2 DIFFERENT MARKINGS, THEY ARE; BOTH ARE IMPRESSED LETTER “U”, ONE HAS A DOT INSIDE THE “U”, THE OTHER HAS A LETTER “B”. THESE BULLETS CAME FROM REMINGTON-UMC MANUFACTURED CARTRIDGES. I HAVE A NOTE THAT REMINGTON USED THE IMPRESSED “U” WITH A LETTER “S” ON BULLETS MANUFACTURED AT THE ROBIN HOOD AMMUNITION Co. IN SWANTON, VERMONT BUT HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CONFIRM THIS WITH A SPECIMEN.

There is also one with a “U” inside a “G”.

I have a round headstamped “R.H.A.Co. 2-1917”.

The bullet has a U with T inside stamped into the base.

EDIT: I remember reading once that the “T” refers to a solid tombac (Gilding metal) bullet, as opposed to “B” for brass.

Fede,

there is also “U” without dot, some without any marking, and some with “sI” (maybe “s1”), “s3”, “s4” and “s5”.

Thank you all for your help.

Does anyone know of a comprehensive study on US made 8 mm Lebel ammunition? I’m trying to learn about the relationship between the companies which made the bullets and the companies which made the cases and loaded the cartridges.

Fede

AT SOME POINT IN TIME, DURING WW I, THERE WAS SOME TYPE OF RESTRICTION ON EXPORTING LOADED AMMUNITION TO ENGLAND AND/OR FRANCE. REMINGTON GOT AROUND THIS RESTRICTION BY SHIPPING NEW PRIMED EMPTY CASES, WITH R.H.A.Co. HEADSTAMPS, WITH THE BULLETS INSERTED INTO THE EMPTY CASES POINT END FIRST. THESE WERE THEN LOADED WITH POWDER WHEN THEY ARRIVED AT THEIR DESTINATION. IF THIS IS NOT THE KIND OF INFORMATION YOU ARE LOOKING FOR I APOLOGIZE. I’M ALSO SORRY I AM UNABLE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH MORE DEFINITIVE INFORMATION. PERHAPS THE EUROPEAN COLLECTORS CAN FURNISH THE DETAILS.

George, thanks for your help. I have a headstamp checklist, a bullet marking checklist and also a smaller checklist indicating which headstamp used which bullet. I’m interested in updating the last one and maybe also learn of some markings not reported before.

In the manufacture of 8 mm Lebel bullets carried on the States were involved other companies that were previously not involved with this kind of products, like always happens during a war. I haven’t found a document that explains each bullet marking but I have found documentation about three 8 mm Lebel bullet manufacturers that supplied some of the cartridge manufacturing companies involved. For example, here is a likely identification for three markings:

U with B inside = Bridgeport Metal Goods Manufacturing Company, Bridgeport
U inside G = Gaynor Manufacturing Company, Stratford
U with T inside = Turner & Seymour Manufacturing Company, Torrington

Regarding the rest of the markings known, I’m not so sure about their correct identification but these probably indicate UMC Bridgeport Works (U, U with · inside) and UMC Swanton Works (U with S inside, SI, S3, S4 and S5).

this is the bullet of a round with headstamp RA S.4-17

Fede

THE BULLETS FROM MY R.H.A.Co. 4-1916 AND 2-1917 CARTRIDGES HAVE A LETTER “B” INSIDE THE LETTER “U”. THE BULLETS FROM MY RA S. 4-17 AND REMINGTON 2 16 ART D HEADSTAMPED CARTRIDGES ARE BOTH MARKED WITH A DOT INSIDE THE LETTER “U”.

Western 1918: B in U. Jack

George and Jack, thanks for your help.