Us silent weapon system cartridge design fa 1962

SILENT WEAPON SYSTEM CARTRIDGE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT Phase I: Design; FRANKFORD ARSENAL, November 1962: dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/334799.pdf

Brian

PS-Well I see now that I should have done a better search here of previous postings as this was discussed and listed sometime back. Sorry for the repeat.

Brian

No need to apologize. We can never have too much information, especially links to dtic documents.

The report makes reference to the “Whisper” program, and the Cal .30 XM76 cartridge. A later cartridge, the 7.62mm version was designated the XM115. Does anyone out there happen to have examples of either cartridge? I’d be especially interested in the Xm115.

Ray

Ray,

I “only” have the 30-06 version

cheers
René

Thanks Rene. I figured you would have the 30-06 version because you have one of everything that was ever made. ;-)

There is some doubt that the XM115 was ever produced. It will be discussed in HWS III but I don’t think it will show an actual cartridge. I was hoping that maybe someone out there had one.

Ray

Here’s what HWS Vol III says in Chapter 6, including Gene Scranton’s drawing:

"On 13 January 1960, the Ordnance Technical Committee assigned the designation XM115 to a 7.62mm ball cartridge having a pressure-sustaining propelling system to reduce noise and weapon firing signature. This round was part of Project Whisper and was being developed as a companion cartridge to the Cal. .30 XM76 covered in Chapter 5. The XM115 had a total cartridge weight of 335 grs. and propelled a 110-gr. steel bullet to a velocity of 800 fps. Like the XM76, the development program for the XM115 was originally classified Secret. Unfortunately, the cartridge assembly drawing (FB 53140 dated Jan. 28, 1960) was destroyed when Frankford Arsenal closed, but the component drawings survived and were used to draw Fig. 255.

FIG. 255. 7.62mm Ball Cartridge XM115 (reconstructed from Frankford Arsenal Component Dwgs. FB 53141, 53148, 53201 and 53214). Length, 2.726"

The development of the XM115 cartridge was terminated in August 1960 and it is possible that only component metal parts were actually fabricated, since there is no record of test firings."

Progress on the book continues steadily, if slowly. I’ll have draft copies of the first few chapters at SLICS.

Thanks for sharing this information.

NATO Dave