USA produced .50 caliber for UK

During the second world war, and several years afterwards, the UK bought USA produced .50 bmg (12.7x99) cartridges from the USA.
What types were used, and are only certain headstamps used for these contracts?

I know that also .30 caliber (.30-06) was sold to the U.K. and most of these rounds had the primer ringed in so they could be used in synchonised guns.
are these .50 bmg cartridges also marked in one way or an other? So can you identify them?

who can help with more info?

thanks in advance

Joost.

[quote=“sir_joost”]During the second world war, and several years afterwards, the UK bought USA produced .50 bmg (12.7x99) cartridges from the USA.
What types were used, and are only certain headstamps used for these contracts?

I know that also .30 caliber (.30-06) was sold to the U.K. and most of these rounds had the primer ringed in so they could be used in synchonised guns.
are these .50 bmg cartridges also marked in one way or an other? So can you identify them?

who can help with more info?

thanks in advance

Joost.[/quote]

joost

The few US made .50’s for the UK that I have seen were standard US rounds and headstamp but the AP round had a green tip and primer annulus. The standard colour code for UK AP was a green primer annulus but the US manufacturer carried this up to the bullet tip too.

gravelbelly

Early .50 contracts did have a special hst to include the ‘Z’ code for N/C prpellant, e.g. ‘R A 1940 .50 CAL Z’ but after Pearl Harbour all US production met US hst specs. Best info source on British .50’s is
Labbett, P & Brown F.A. ‘British Service .50 Inch Browning Ammunition’ London, 1991.
Unfortunately it seems to be ‘out of print’ now - why not put out an add?

This publication is available from Vic Engel - $10 plus shipping.

Could anyone provide me with an (email) address of Vic Engel?

I am looking for 2 booklet of the late mr Labbett;

British made .50" and 13mm MG ammunition, not adopted for british service but for commercial sale;1988 28pages

British service .50 inch Browning Ammunition; 1991 26pages

would like to buy these…

thanks in advance,

Joost