Use of carrtidges in advertising

Here is an interesting use for a dummy 7.62x51mm dating back to the mid-80’s. It’s a mail shot(?) from Honeywell Instrumentation Support Services. Cartridges is headstamped (+) LC 72 and has a struck primer. It would appear that there were no concerns about mailing dummy cartridges back then. Does anyone know what was on the insert with the red tag?

NATO Dave

NATODave:

I LIKE IT! I LIVED IN DENVER FOR MOST OF MY LIFE AND I NEVER SAW ONE OF THESE. I KNOW IT DATES TO 1986, BUT I THINK THEY COULD HAVE DONE A MORE PRESENTABLE JOB OF DISPLAYING THE CARTRIDGE - DIDN’T WE HAVE BLISTER PACKAGING BACK THEN? REGARDLESS, IT IS A COOL ITEM! A GREAT ITEM FOR THE CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR WHO COLLECTS ADVERTISING. THANKS FOR SHARING!!

Interesting.

I’ll guess that the insert was cash money, such as a Dollar Bill. Or maybe a Five. Many businesses were using newly printed bills to encourage people to fill out their questionaire or take a survey. People would think it unfair to keep the money and not answer their questions. That was a quaint time. Today, they’d keep the money and throw away the rest. Then they’d probably go through their neighbor’s mail box to see if they got one also. ;-)

Ray