USGI 12ga?

I got this box along with 3 rounds. I was going to toss it in my “junk” pile when I noticed the “U.S. PROPERTY” stamp on the side flap. Can someone please explain this, and tell me if this box and rounds are worth more than a dollar or two?

I wonder if this is the kind of ammunition used to train aerial gunners. I read somewhere that trap shooting was used to teach the basics of leading a target, before moving on to machineguns…

Stamping commercially acquired ammunition as “Government Property” would help keep the ammuntion from finding it’s way off of the military base…

AKMS

It was quite common for the US military to purchase shotshells from commercial sources. It probably still is. They were used for combat, riot control, guard duty, hunting, and as AKMS said, training gunners.

If the ammunition was packed in commercial boxes the box was stamped “U.S. Property”.

It’s amazing how the simple act of stamping the boxes kept soldiers, sailors, and marines from liberating the shells. ;) ;)

Ray

The military also provded (and still does, I guess) various ammunition for competition shooters on various service teams, both for practice and actual match use.

Some shotshells were probably used for quasi-official hunting supported by the Welfare & Recreation type operations on bases where they would rent/check out guns (and ammo?) for personnel to use on or off the base, depending on local policies.

In addition to the uses previously noted, some shotshell loads (with #6 shot I believe) were “hawk loads” intended for use shooting hawks that may threaten the army’s message-carrying pigeons which were used well into WW2.

I believe this box is 1950s vintage, and intended for trap or skeet use, and is definitely not one of the WW2 era boxes procured for gunnery training, etc. Most of those had the old roll crimp.

John S.–Actually the box is about 1939 or 1940. The pie crimp referred to on the box was introduced by Remington in 1939. Here is the annoucement sheet from 1939.