USGI 900rd 38-super can

This must be fairly rare?:

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=182740051

First time I had seen a USGI can for this caliber.

Matt, what is the “Super” relating to?

.38Ball Super: === .38 Super Colt Auto, the calibre of Colt Commander Pistols issued to a lot of General rank officers.

The “Spam Can” is typical of the 1950s to 1970?s issue, for tropical and other climactic areas, where adverse Temperature and Humidity can occur.

Regards,
Doc AV

DK,

Here is a thread on the subject from a little while back. John Moss provided some nice info on it.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8525

Dave

What are the headstamps?

My box is from the same lot as pictured, Remington 5001. The load is a FMJ GM RN bullet, almost undoubtedly 130 grain, brass, smooth case (no cannelures), flat nickel primer cup and no visible case mouth or primer seals. Headstamp is “REM-UMC 38 ACP” with no periods after anything

On the tab that tucks into the front of the box, is printed: FOR USE ONLY IN COLT SUPER AUTOMATIC PISTOLS DESIGNED FOR HIGH VELOCITY AMMUNITION.

The tins are very scarce. While I have seen pictures of them before, I have never actually seen one myself. I don’t know exactly who this ammunition was originally destined for, but I can tell you that the FBI ended up with some of it, at least.

The fact that the case is not nickel-plated, but the load is .38 Super, not just .38 Auto, is a reminder that you cannot positively tell the loading in these two calibers without a box label. Even a late-type “.38 Super” headstamp is no guarantee, since those cases, prior to Starline making both types, were used often by small commercial loaders to make the lower-powered .38 Auto round for lack of other available brass. Unless you have the box label, I would treat all .38 Ammunition of this case type as .38 Super, and not use it in the older 1900-1903 series of Colt Pistols, or any other handgun intended for the lower velocity ammunition.
The exact load in question loses its “Super” identity once out of the box.

John Moss