Uzi box 41ae

I saw a full box of 41ae, its in a very attractive box with UZI in large letters on it, price on the box is $25. Is this a common and or still produced box of ammo or would this make a good investment for the price?

It’s not produced anymore, if it’s the orangy one, and it’s not that common. However, at $25, I’m not sure it’s a great investment. Might actually do better with a shooter. Save the box and a couple of rounds, of course.

The .41AE is neat to me in that it was one of the first commercial US offerings of a modern, noticeably rebated-rim cartridge. Nowadays, the .50AE, .458 SOCOM and several others are commonplace but when the .41AE hit the shelves it did cause a stir.

If memory serves, the UZI marked product is earlier production; the last ones I saw here stateside had commercial Samson/IMI labels.

Was the Uzi SMG ever made in this calibre?

Yes,it was produced also in this caliber.Actually the 41 AE was developed for this purpose:allow the use of a 10 mm cartridge without modifying the bolt face,as the 41 AE is rebeated

Thanks. Were any ever sold? What about the necked-down 9mm AE?

Any info about velocities from SMG barrels?

The Uzi semi-auto carbines in .41 AE made it to market in the US. The Mini Uzi semi-auto carbine and Uzi semi-auto pistol were also advertised as being available in .41 AE. I can’t imagine that they were all that successful.

The US importer Action Arms sent 9mm AE Uzi carbine conversions to some gunwriters. Dean Grennell later wrote that the bottleneck cases had pretty much reverted back into straightwall cases during extraction.

Early articles on the .41 AE quoted factory data for velocity of the 170gr loads from an Uzi SMG barrel. I’d have to dig them up.

Thanks Daniel, I’d be grateful for that.

I found one chart, but it looks like pre-production data as the quoted pistol velocity is far higher than any I’ve seen for the 170 gr loads. It claimed 1,215 fps for a 5" barrel and 1,301 fps for the 10" barrel.

Thanks - maybe they loaded it hotter for SMGs, then decided to scale it back a bit when they realised it would be for handguns only?

Tony - the 9mm Action Express, developed by Action Arms under Evan Whildin (but probably with much of the development actually done by Bob Olsen), was tested in an article (mentioned above) by Dean Grennell/ He first mentions lots of data obtain by Action Arms in a ten inch pressure barrel, which generally, I believe, gives slightly higher velocities than a barrel of the same length in an actual firearms, especially a blowback one like the Uzi). Bullets chosen for testing were initially very light for this caliber - 95 grains. They gave instrumental velocities of around 1880fps. With a 100 grain bullet, they actually reached a velocity of 1903fps. With a 124 grain bullet, they reached velocities as haigh as 1674fps.

Grennell, testing with a Colt Government Model with 5" barrel and an Uzi carbine with a barrel length of 16-1/2", reach velocities using a 124 grain bullet as high as 1496fps in the pistol and 1724fps in the carbine. With a 115 grain bullet, but a different powder (remember, I cannot mention loads on this Forum) pistol velocity dropped a little to 1465fps but carbine velocity increased to 1875fps, probably as a result of using a slower burning powder more adapted to small case-capacity rifle loads.

I wish I could give you a time frame for the article, but stupidly, years ago, when I filed an article (which I tear out of magazines), I did not date them.
The article appeared in Gun World magazine, though, for which Grennell was astaff writer.

I hope this helps. By the way, I have never seen a cartridge properly headstamped to the 9mm AE. All have been on .41AE cases. Also, Dan’s memory was good - Grennell did mention that when firing the rounds in the Uzi, he almost instantly reconverted the cases back to .41 AE. Evidently, the residual pressure still operating as the Uzi bolt opened expanded the necks back out. I would call a load that does that a little hot!

Dean Grennell’s 9mm AE article in “Gun World” had to be around 1988 or '89. He mentions it in the 1989 title “The Gun Digest Book of the .45” in his coverage of the .45 semi-auto Uzi carbine and pistol. The round is also discussed in the Wildcat/Proprietary chapter of “Cartridges of the World, 6th Ed.”, another 1989 release.

Many thanks, gentlemen!