Valuation of RWS Sinoxid Match 22LR

These cartridges appear to have been manufactured from 1970 to 1976 at the Rheinisch Westfalischen Sprengstoff (RWS) factory in the German region known as North Rhine-Westphalia in the city of Troisdorf.

22LR

My sources state that the trademark over the Sinoxid name is a differentiating factor from the 1977 versions with no registered trademark indicator over the Sinoxid name. LR-20 is the designator for the cartridge box. The R-8 headstamp consists of an R inside a shield.

This single box of 50 cartridges is in very good shape with only a wrinkled end flap. There are no tears or other damage to the box. The ammo itself is also in good shape with no corrosion on the nickel plated cases or bullets.

Anyone have an idea on valuation?

it won’t be enough for en early retirement, at my club some people are still shooting that stuff

Interesting comment, Rene. Are your club members shooting the stuff in competition or for practice? California politics has made match ammo virtually unavailable. Those of us who shoot are very interested in the accurate shelf life of the high and medium priced stuff. Given reasonable storage, most of it is good enough for 15 years or so. Fiocchi is an exception, losing dependable accuracy before 5 years.

those who shoot this stuff are usually the old guys shooting away their old stuff.
those who shoot competitions fire many more rounds per year and have new ammo.

so far I have never experienced bad quality with older Fiocchi. Still have around 15,000 rounds of 22 short super-match ammo that I bought from a guy shooting in the German national team.
unfortunately in Germany they changed for rapid fire pistol from 22 short to 22LR. So now I „blast“ them away for fun.

Dynamit Nobel indeed had its registered location at Troisdorf, where it ran a chemical factory after WW2. You will find Troisdorf also on Geco brand pistol ammunition boxes.
But there was no ammunition production at Troisdorf, this happened at Stadeln near Nuremberg in Bavaria.

There should be a code like 50KT10 on one of the flaps of each box. If you tell us what it is, manufacturing date, shift and number of production line for these cartridges can be determined.

Current ammunition quality totally depends on the storage conditions.

Wasn’t Troisdorf before WW2 a powder plant?

I have an export box, I think made for the US marked were is written on the back that this cartridge is the result of careful investigation and teste with Troisdorf Gallery powder

DSC_0003

You are right, from 1890 onwards, Troisdorf produced nitrocellulose and propellants. But (according to the book by Trimborn) the propellant manufacture was stopped with the start of WW1 and the factory concentrated on nitrocellulose production. This had to be abandoned after WW1 and the factory changed to polymer production.

There were several propellants called Troisdorfer Pulver still in use after WW1. But I doubt they were really manufactured at Troisdorf, which was definitely out of action for any ammunition related work due to French/Belgian occupation of the Rhineland in the early twenties. From 1926 onwards there were only IG Farben, WASAG and Lignose left in the explosives/propellant business, which had a lot of existing capacities. I see no need for rebuilding a factory at Troisdorf while Rottweil and Walsrode were desperately looking for work.

Thanks for all the opinions and input. ,

The input about the Troisdorf plant conflicts with a document I read named “Germany- .22 boxes and I.D.” Either way, just looking for some valuation. As it is not special, I will put it away for the grand-kids.

Thanks all!

It might be good to mention that some of the reference information presented in this thread is from Roger Huegel’s excellent website on .22 boxes: http://22box-id.com/default.htm

In particular: http://22box-id.com/world/Germany.pdf