Values of cartridge books?

What is the best way to determine the value of cartridge related reference books? I’ve googled some of the titles in my library and the ones that are listed for sale on Amazon.com seem to be very high…

Is “SPIW: The Deadliest Weapon That Never Was” really worth $250.00?

I will be offering for sale in the near future about 25 different cartridge related reference books and want to price them fairly.

Suggestions on where to get realistic values would be greatly appreciated.

AKMS

There are also a lot of used books of all kinds listed on eBay, also many specialty booksellers have websites, and they may be interested in buying. You just might Google your book titles and see what comes up.

As with anything else, the prices you may see listed may not be realistic. Condition and buyer demand play a large role in determining selling price. I have previously attempted to sell books (not cartridge books) which I believed to have considerable value, but was unable to sell them for anything close to what I thought they were worth on eBay. Used bookstores will pay very little for any book, they are much worse than “Pawn Stars.”

I’d say the best avenue is trying to sell on eBay. You can always set your own starting price.

You could list them here.

Thank you Dennis,

My intention is to list them here in the appropriate forum once I have an idea as to their value.

AKMS

If you search for prices on eBay, make sure to also check completed auctions, as that can be helpful to establish actual sale prices for competed auctions.

The SPIW book sold at the 2010 SLICS live auction for $75 (lot 115). There were a few other books in that auction as well. You might want to check out the list of items in Journal 471, p. 48 and the prices realized at http://cartridgecollectors.org/slics/2010pricesrealized.pdf to see if any of the other books are ones that you are trying to sell.

I’ve had the same experience as Dennis. I had a very extensive library at one time that I acquired over the years at great cost. A few years ago I decided to pass them on to others only to find out that the younger generations were no longer interested in books. Everything they wanted to know they could find on the Internet. They were not even interested in them as gifts. They took up too much space. So, I ended up donating them to local libraries. Before long, the libraries too will become obsolete.

I almost hate to say this but, even the $75 to $250 books like SPIW are available on line if you know where to look.

The same for records, 8-tracks, and VHS. Tried to sell one of those lately?

Times, they are a-changin’.

Well, I still like books, so I’m interested in seeing the list. I have a pretty good cartridge library, but there’s always something I need. Post the list with whatever you think, even if a bit high. Not a problem to reduce prices if something has no takers.

What he says :)

As above.

Regards
TonyE

I must be out of touch with my generation as I love books!
Looking forward to seeing the list.

Try alibris.com is another huge source for new and used and OOP books.
I’ve sold quite a few books through ABEbooks. Book collectors are very particular about condition. Your view on condition will invariably be different from the collectors and dealers.

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the valuable information. I shall do my research and post my list in the near future.

AKMS

I am looking for Erlmeirer & Brandt Volume II and was delited to find one listed on Amazon used (associated seller) for $75 and sent for it. When it came I was very disappointed to find that the seller was so stupid as to not know the difference from Volume I and Volume II and had sent me volume I instead. He of course did not still have II and I hope my cc will soon be credited with the refund.

If you have a Volume II for a reasonable price I want it.

[quote=“jimg11”]I am looking for Erlmeirer & Brandt Volume II and was delited to find one listed on Amazon used (associated seller) for $75 and sent for it. When it came I was very disappointed to find that the seller was so stupid as to not know the difference from Volume I and Volume II and had sent me volume I instead. He of course did not still have II and I hope my cc will soon be credited with the refund.

If you have a Volume II for a reasonable price I want it.[/quote]

I shouldn’t tell you this, but at SLICS a couple years back, I picked up all 3 volumes (2nd ed of #1, 1st ed of # 2&3) for $45 ($15 each)

I have used ABE Books in the past to value my military reference books, among others. I usually pick a mid range price as there are usually multiple copies of most books.

Well from what I can gather I am classed as the younger generation of collectors at nearly 40 and I do use the internet an awful lot and I do have some electronic versions of books but I can honestly say you can not and will not beat having a proper book to sit and read through when researching. There are lots of books on the British .303 that I have not managed to get hold of but I am still looking and I would love to have all my books in good old paper format.

So I can assure you Ray there are still people out here who love books, especially if come my way as gifts. :-)

thanks
Richard

Drawback is that hard copies take up a lot of space. I have many great reference books on many topics boxed away in what is essentially dead storage as I just don’t have enough shelf space (or places for more shelves) available. Any more, I don’t even know what I have, and will probably never open many of those boxes. If I move again, most will probably end up in a big garage sale. I wish all my references were on a DVD for that reason, aside from my attachment to books.

I agree that in the not-too-distant future printed materials will become uncommon. My son is an avid reader, and several years ago he got a Kindle, and he no longer buys printed books. I have not followed suit, but may. It’s amazing the number of titles that are available in e-book form. Just like movies going from film to VHS to DVD to Blu-ray, and now being viewed directly from cable and satellite services and Netflix. The Cloud is the future and memory is cheaper than paper.

Gentlemen: Keep your books, the magnetic storage, flash storage, DVD and CD have a shelf life and will self destruct even if cared for, the paper will last indefinitely if cared for. The original Gutenberg Bible is still readable. If not for now, keep it for the future!!!

Actually, there are archival CDs that supposedly have a storage life of more than 100 years. There are also archival DVDs, but with a somewhat shorter estimated lifespan. These are not cheap, I think about $5 each, but that’s cheap insurance.

The REAL hazard is the Iranians detonating an electromagnetic pulse weapon about 30 miles up and frying every microprocessor and hard drive within a thousand miles. Unless you have a bicycle or a pre-electronic ignition car, you will be walking. Those with pacemakers should have enough time to lay down and cross their hands over their chests.

Some of the dealer website prices are just ridiculous. There are a few dealers over here, not cartridge but guns and hunting, or military, who price things at levels I would describe as beyond what anything would ever pay. But they are prepared to wait. Somebody must buy them or they wouldn’t be in business.

Its not a bad business either, I suspect a lot of them buy their books off ebay or Amazon in the first place.I have sold books on both in the past to people who have clearly been dealers.