Vent tube (primer) for tank main gun

According to my info this is an CHIEFTAIN IGNITIAN STARTER cartridge
the question is what stuck out of the business end of this case any ideas
Sherryl

Sherryl,

You have a vent tube (primer) for a tank main gun.
The L4A2 version is shown below

Vent%20Tube

See also: Tank gun/artillery primer tube identification
Below are the first 2 pictures missing from the above listed thread.
Vent%20tub%2C%20b
Vent%20tube%2C%20a

Brian

1 Like

This is a tin for 10 cartridges L3A1 .625" Elect. 1987.
Aluminium Base but steel brass plated? top. Flash spoiled it a bit.

To all of you guys,all I can say surprises,surprises
However Thanks to all
Sherryl

Another but 71 date & different metal supplier or makers code or ?
“JB”

Vent%20tube%20L1A4%20electric%20hs

Very neat tin Ron, you ever find an empty extra, let me know

PetedeCoux
Pete please take note of the accompanying write up to this post
and you will learn the head stamp of your cartridge is somewhat
experimental and scarce
Sherryl

On reading the article it has nothing about the jB code so unless I’m missing something what makes it special? The one in the article is dated 67 & my .625" is dated 71, that and other than there is now an L4A1 model.

These are my two Vent Tubes.
Note that the primer pocket is threaded on the new empty case.

1 Like

I think sherryl is referring to the XL4E2 on the headstamp which denotes it is a experimental precursor to the production L4A2. (in bdgreens post)

Tony

Thanks Tony for your note,lets put it this way is there a difference in meaning between
LIA4 or L4Ai or would you think it represents the same meaning???
Now if L4Ai is the same,it is Stated in the sub post send bdgreen under HISTORIEN>
(ON NOTE THE L4AI WAS ALSO A TRIAL ONLY VERSION NOT BEING ACCEPTED
INTO SERVICE DUE TO BARILLIUM IN THE COPPER OF THE REAR PORTION
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK
SHERRYL

Sherryl, could you ammend the name of the title to reflect the subject here?

I will quote from Rick Lander’s Grenade book as he tells the differences in the British “L” models better than I can. (With thanks).

“L” is the design No and “A” is the modification.
It would seem we can find 4 different model vent tubes. L1 to L4.

Yes that’s sort of what I thought he was refering to.
However since the one I showed was a 71 vs the 67 in the historian’s post, meaning 4 years of production, I couldn’t quite understand why it was experimental. Even with the same sequential L1A3 code an L4 being after the L3 & the L2, Then the A3 vs A4 only an earlier model / modification but not experimental by any means.

Now with Ron’s one example showing another code WX, & the “EW” code in the historian thread I sure would like to know what that code is. Metals supplier? RG is obviously the loader / maker.

Electric primers and percussion primers are often screw fitted because of pressure blow back. Wouldn’t do to have a fired primer fouling-up the breech block.

EOD

I do not know if that is what you want but it is a bit further up the post under
the titel
Tank/Gun artillery primer tube identification.
Sherryl

Sherryl, not me wanting it as such but forum rules and admins say so every now and then.
It keeps threads recognizable and reduces risk of missunderstandings.

Primers and Tubes were ‘Lotted’ thus the JB, EW and XW are most probably a Lot code. You’ll note Ron’s empty Tube is not so marked.

I don’t think Lander’s explanation goes far enough. A L1A* Tube could be a totally different item terms of design etc., from a L2A* Tube. Minor changes in the design of a store warranted an advancement in the A number. Thus a L1A1 store that was modified would become L1A2. In the very begining of this system, the designation was L* Mk*.

Thanks TimG for the explanation of the lot codes. Very Interesting.

sherryl,
no L1A4 and L4A1 do not mean the same thing, they will be different in some way, the L system isn’t as complicated as some would suppose, usually a item with a L number will start with,for example, L1A1, L2A1, L3A1,L4A1 ect then each modification to a store will be shown as L1A2, A3 ,A4 ect.
Experimental versions are shown as,for example, X1E1 ect or XL1E1 ect depending how far advanced the experiment has progressed.
Now the L number is only part of the store discription, for example L1A1 has been assigned to numerous items of stores, SLR rifle, vent tube ect ect so the complete discription would be L1A1 Vent tube ect ect.
A later L number does not always mean that a item of stock with an earlier L number is obsolete,it can, and often does, be used for a different role than a later L numbered item of stock

Tony

OK Tony I except your opinion these abbrevations sometimes can
drive a person right around the bend thanks again
Sherryl

I agree with Tony that the L designation system is logical once you get your head around it, and similar styles (with a few idiosyncrasies) are used in other countries (eg M1A1 in the US, R1M1 in South Africa). Just to really confuse things, there can also be a ‘B’ number tagged onto the end to signify a ‘reworked’ UK store, where existing components are broken down, modified, & reassembled. For example, the picture below shows two 1.5” Baton Rounds: the L5A4B1 is where the aluminium top wad has been replaced with card and some modifications made to the rim from an L5A4, and the L5A6B1 was a large lot of L5A6 that were found to be defective and were broken down to be reloaded to correct specifications.

2 Likes