Verification and help identifying 32 cal rimfire

I have a set of 50 rounds that look like they are old about 30 (based on info below it looks more like 32) caliber rim-fire. The bullet diameter average is 7.8 mm or 0.307 inch. The measurements I made with an inexpensive caliber varied plus or minus 0.1 mm. So could be me or the instrument.

Length of the round was about 23.6 mm ( 0.929 inch) Case looks like copper is about 13.8 mm long by 7.6 mm diameter.

There is a headstamp of the letter D. It is not raised. Would this be Dupont?

Pictures at:

i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af2 … 04f012.jpg
i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af2 … 641bb4.jpg

.32 Short RF, Dominion ??

C’mon rimfire guys. Help him out.

Thanks for the reply. Dominion was my second guess. Would the diameter of the bullet be typically under the 0.32 inch mark? There is a bit of oxidation on the lead but I would think this could increase the diameter unless some of the oxide flakes off. In that case I would expect the bullet to be a bit undersize. Trying to learn a bit more about ammo. I just picked up a more modern Peters 32 acp and measured it with my cheap caliper and it read about 7.5 mm or 7.6 mm. Is that close or do I need a better instrument?

I’m far from a rimfire expert, or any other kind of expert. Someone else should have responded by now. Every question deserves an answer, even if it’s a wrong one.

Typically, the 30 Rimfires have a bullet diameter of .287-.288. 32 Rimfires will be .310 - .315. 32 ACP will measure around .309.

None of it makes sense, I know. Rimfires are especially hard to measure.

Ray

I measured a few other types that I have and find that my calipers are measuring the 22 round a couple tenths less than it listed on Wikipedia for the 22 long rifle. So I am thinking part of my problem is also that my measurements while close are on the low side.

Thanks for the info on the dimensions. Starting to make sense. I will keep on digging. This forum is really interesting.

Rush
I’m not bad with a set of calipers, machine repair is my trade in life.
Technique and only light pressure when closing is the trick.
The 22LR’s that I’ve cataloged measure .223 to .228 (5.7-5.8mm), so yes, they vary.
My cataloged 30 rimfires measure from .286 to .300 (7.3 to 7.6mm)
My cataloged 32 rimfires measure from .304 (on a 32 Long Rifle) to .320 (7.7 to 8.0mm)
Of better use, for ID purposes, is the case length and overall length (and even than there will be differences due to age and manufacturer)

I have 2 of these in my to get to label one of these days bin.

One has a D stamp and the other a larger font U.

The U one also has different bands on the bullet.

I am relatively new to this field, however, I have seen the U stamp listed as Remington or could be Union if it was made before Remington bought the Union company. Bear in mind I am going by is what I saw on the internet so this information may not be reliable. I don’t trust things I find on the internet – or any news media – without getting a second verification. I have seen too much sloppy work and errors posted or printed even by big news organizations about events where I was involved.

Nice macro picture. My one camera was not that good. Next time I will try one of my other ones.

Bill

Bill - my impression is that the Union Metallic Cartridge Company acquired Remington, and not the reverse. Am I wrong? Wouldn’t be the first time! :-)

[quote=“rushmwr”]I am relatively new to this field, however, I have seen the U stamp listed as Remington or could be Union if it was made before Remington bought the Union company. Bear in mind I am going by is what I saw on the internet so this information may not be reliable. I don’t trust things I find on the internet – or any news media – without getting a second verification. I have seen too much sloppy work and errors posted or printed even by big news organizations about events where I was involved.

Nice macro picture. My one camera was not that good. Next time I will try one of my other ones.

Bill[/quote]

Tip. Use a sheet of paper for the IR auto focus on your camera to focus on and then put your small object on the same plane.
You can punch the bullet through the paper also, I was in a hurry.

John

I think you’ve got it right. Hartley & Graham owned U.M.C. and, in 1888, they purchased Remington. The two brands of ammunition were marketed seperately until 1910 when they combined, giving birth to the well known REM-UMC headstamp that endured until 1960.

Ray

Ray - Thanks for the verification. I am starting to mistrust my memory of things I studied hard to learn years ago, I’m afraid.