Very short swedish blank

Was asked to identify this rather short swedish made blank. I must admit this one has me mystified (Happens a lot, to be honest…) Head dimensions match that of a 7,62 NATO. Can one of you tell me what it is for?
Soren

mausernut,

Perhaps the cartridge used for the Carl Gustav 84mm AT practice submuniton? Just a guess…

Added: Never mind… the CG 84mm training device uses modified 7.62x51 tracer, etc. I was thinking of a propelling charge for a larger size practice projectile. My bad…

Cool cartridge though!

Dave

Hello Soren,

This cartridge is designated Power Unit PC for CG Power Unit M1 and its used with the CG Power Cutter M1 produced by CGTEC AB from Åkers styckebruk, Sweden. This is a cartridge actuated tool for rescue operations for cutting through hard objects. It has no metric designation but manual describe its dimensions as “12 x 35”.

Fede,

Very nice graphics! I was correcting my earlier mistaken guess when you posted. Is that a hand held device?

Dave

Hello Dave, this picture speaks for itself:

Looks like a solution to the eternal problem of sloooow hydraulic cutters for rescue personnel. On our latest saftey and first aid course they described how people with severe cuts often had to have IV blood supplied while they cut the victim out of the vehicle.
In this case it is very likely used as a special forces tool.
Thanks both.
Soren

Thanks Fede!

I’m again impressed with your vast supply of cartridge related documents!

Curious that they use a specialized cartridge like that rather than one of the many “tool” cartridges extant. Maybe operates at some pretty high pressures and requires a modern rifle case…U.S. Naval line cutters in the past used a modified .45-70 blanks as I recall.

Dave

Unless the FFV has changed the “training” cartridge used in the 84mm Carl Gustaf AT round, all the ones used in Australia were specially loaded 6,5x55 Tracer cartridges ( white tip, blue-black half-head colour), with the same trajectory characteristics of the Full sized shell.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Carl-Gustaf subcaliber systems do exist in 9x19, 6.5x55 and 7.62x51.
NICO in Germany is working on an own variant in 22mm if I recall the caliber right.

[quote=“DocAV”]Unless the FFV has changed the “training” cartridge used in the 84mm Carl Gustaf AT round, all the ones used in Australia were specially loaded 6,5x55 Tracer cartridges ( white tip, blue-black half-head colour), with the same trajectory characteristics of the Full sized shell.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.[/quote]
These same rounds were in British serivce as well. They were all imported from Sweden, as far as I know they were never made here.

Here are a couple of the 7.62x51mm version:

I am not sure about the CG 96 round. Can anyone verify that it is also for the Carl Gustof?

Yes it is. It’s for FFV’s sub-caliber adapter model 553. Look here for the adapter: eme421.com/84mmsubcal_new.html
(the cartridge described there is the canadian model! - not to mix up with your swedish one)

There is even a version without tracer (to my knowledge only used in Denmark). Then the bullet tip is blue like the band above the casemouth.

[quote]There is even a version without tracer (to my knowledge only used in Denmark). Then the bullet tip is blue like the band above the casemouth.[/quote]I am only aware that we have used various 6,5x55 and 9x19 cartridges for training with the Carl Gustaf. Since the first deliveries there have always been both with and without tracer versions.
The three headstamps here is from the first delivery (left, top box); latest in my collection (middle, middle box and the year between (right, lower box). Notice that only the middle box contained tracer versions. The smaller primer on the Raufoss is a bit odd.

Soren

edit: added 6,5x55

Hej Søren,
look out for
7,62 mm øvelseslyssporpatron M/85 (with tracer, like pbutler shows us)
and
7,62 mm øvelsespatron M/98 (without tracer, blue tip & band)

Here’s the brochure of it (better than the link I’ve posted before):

motov.dk/documents/granat553b.pdf

And a picture (together with Carl Gustaf): www3.hjv.dk/lfr-bv/hjvk-7106/Fot … %2008.html