Very Unusual GG&Co Box

A recent post on a very nice Geco 7.63mmM box (hst "D Geco D 7,63 ) encouraged me to write this post. It reminded me of this box and cartridges owned by a collector in Germany. I believe this is a quite unusual headstamp on most calibers, and extremely difficult to find in 9mm Para (it is rumored to exist but I have not confirmed that it really occurs on 9mm Para)! There is a 9mm Para headstamped “GG&Co . D. .” which does exist but may be pre-WWI or even WWI vintage. I have seen this headstamp but don’t have one.

GG%26Co%20hst--765P-pink%20box-hst-corpGG%26Co%20hst--765P-pink%20box-no%20code

I speculate that the Geco headstamps of the 1920s and 30s began with the “D star star” headstamp below. This is probably the mid 1920s because it is found on 7.65mm Para cartridges but has never been documented on 9mm Para, nor with a Sinoxid primer as far as I know. Then the GG&Co headstamp above was adopted for a short time before the the introduction of Sinoxid primers. This headstamp was followed by The Geco D 9m/m D and similar concepts just before the full use of the Sinoxit primers (see https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/date-7-63-mauser-box/26996/4 . and then the simple Geco 9M/M headstamps.

Any data shedding light on the progression of these headstamps, or any relevant information would be welcome.

Cheers,
Lew

D-star-star-765P%20hst-3x

Date 7,63 Mauser Box

Lew,

I have no sound dating information on these Geco headstamps, but
agree with your progression:

1. D * *
  2. D GG&Co D
  3. D GECO D

Headstamps one and two above are found in boxes with the identical label-wording,
although the label for the D GG&C D 7.65 is pink on a colored box, not basically plain
buff as for the D * * headstamped cartridges. The D * * headstamp appears on the
9 mm Nickl (rebated rim version of the 9 mm Browning Short cartridge) so could be as
early as 1920-1922.

I suspect the D GG&Co D can be as early as the second half of the 1920s. That heastamp
or the one like that in the Woodin collection may be so rare (GG&Co .D.) due to the fact it
was a civilian headstamp, probably at a time when 9 mm production was very limited due to
the WWI Treaty limitations on Germany’s production of arms and ammunition, and possibly
prohibited to civilians in Germany under German laws (not sure exactly when the limitiations
on calibers for civilian purchase were enacted in Germany).

Just some thoughts on the subject; nothing conclusive.

John Moss

Didn’t become the record “Made in Germany” an obligation after WWI (1920)? That could maybe mean your shown boxes were made before the twenties?

As far as I know, the “Made in Germany” was for boxes exported to the US.

Lew

Both of the boxes for 7.65 Para I alluded to in my answer
above are overstamped “Made in Germany” stamped at an
angle with a rubber stamp, on the top label of the box. One
is so light (probably faded rather than just poorly stamped)
that it is hard to notice.

John Moss