Video of 50mm xm913 cannon firing

hello
maybe interess for someone

at the beginning of the video you can see the 50mm ammunition

3 Likes

Nice, only 124 miles from my front door

Big Sandy is an amazing range. Went for the machine gun shoot a few years ago and it was just incredible

hello
it’s one of my dreams but almost impossible to see the machine gun event in big sandy

Nice video, thanks. Here’s another one of the Army’s 280mm gun firing a Mark 9 atomic projectile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9F-l_3eLcE&feature=emb_rel_end

When I inquired of a manufacturing friend about the Super 40 photo’s I posted; he said the Army is evaluating a move to a “super” 50 and the proof is in the video. thanks for posting

cheez Mel…I wasn’t born yet !!! :)

Interesting video. One thing that I like is the mix of information, propaganda and misdirection. While like Pepper I wasn’t born at the time of this video, the 8-inch version of this projectile was still in service during the early part of my military career. It seemed odd that the markings were not the same in the video, but on closer inspection and a screen grab, they never actually showed the nuclear projectile during the film. Clearly marked, it is the Spotter HE round.

This has always been a difficult round to find for collectors, it just doesn’t seem to have gotten out and available. I got mine in the late 80s and I haven’t see another outside of a museum since. This is the only picture I have of it at work, to the left of the bomb rack, a 240mm beside it.
Capture

1 Like

Here is how the 50mm Supershot was shown several years ago:

35 x 228mm & 50 mm Supershot ATK Bushmaster III.pdf (2.3 MB)

AUSA 2018 exhibition in Washington DC

1 Like

Not to forget that the original concept in the 330mm case is from Rheinmetall and at least 30 years old and was planned for the “Marder 2” IFV (the most capable IFV back then and partially today) which never was adopted due to the end of the cold war.
And 20+ years later we adopted the puny and unsuitable 30x173 instead…
But wait, in another 20 years we will buy this one back for our next generation IFV then. A German tradition which is about 150 years old!
What a shame!

1 Like

Jeff; In the first part of the atomic video, a HE projectile is described and shown being loaded and fired to check some settings and ballistics, and maybe as a barrel warmer. But then another (different?) projectile is shown with a guy sitting on top of it carefully setting a complex-looking fuze that determines when the atomic detonation occurs. Then an Army Lt. Colonel checks the soldier’s work, the troops scatter into trenches, the gun fires, and you can hear a countdown in the background; 4, 3, 2, 1 BOOM! I’m no expert but that sure looks like an atomic explosion; a very bright flash and mushroom cloud.

Is your point that what is described as the Mark 9 atomic projectile with the complex fuze is not, but just another HE version used to deceive people watching the video?

C’mon kids, in 1953 I was already 10 years old and collecting cartridges, the first one a .38 Special from a policeman at the Memphis State Fair.

Correct Mel. It was not unheard of to obscure correct markings or take some liberties with videos in order to give out as little information as possible. In the video, as they describe preparing the projectile and installing the fuze they immediately begin to ram the projectile. At this moment, 8:10 into the video, you can see the markings on the projectile. This is not how we marked our nuclear projectiles. Stopping the video at this point and taking a screen shot (snip tool) then flipping it upside down as attached above you can see in the bottom two lines :“Shell” and below it “Spotting”. We’ve been duped.

This was actually a pretty common tactic, and went on long after the 280mm. In 1987 the US and Soviets hosted each other for CW disarmament purposes. The Soviets were able to visit Tooele Depot and see examples of the chemical weapons that we swore to destroy, and the Soviets opened Shikhany for a similar visit. Even for these weapons which were destined for destruction, the Soviets repainted and changed all of the markings, making them inconsistent with the correct markings of the weapons. Ten years later while working for the UN in The Hague, I was in an office neighboring one belonging to an individual who described, as a young(er) officer being tasked to oversee the repainting. Old habits die hard.

OK Jeff, I’ll take your word for it, and I do see what you’re talking about. Thanks for the explanation. And I understand that only one live atomic projectile was ever fired.

Any info on projectile weights and muzzle velocities for the Super 50 yet?

Tony,

I have not seen any info. But I have not had time lately to do any searching.

Brian

Photo title:
“Northrop Grumman unveils new XM913 50mm chain gun for US Army’s Next Generation Combat Vehicle, at the 2019 AUSA conference”

Quote:
"Gun at the far background is the M230 30mm Bushmaster, used in the Apache attack helicopter.

In the middle is the XM813 30mm / 40mm Bushmaster III, meant for the M1296 Stryker Dragoon

Closest to the camera is the XM913 50mm Bushmaster III+."