Video of Gyrojet pistol being fired

I found these two videos on a recent trip down the YouTube rabbit hole and thought they might be of interest to those of you who are Gyrojet fans. The videos show two shots being fired from a Gyrojet pistol from two different angles. While there’s no Earth-shattering kaboom, it’s interesting to see such a unique cartridge in action!

https://youtu.be/kl6zcB83xng (view from the side)

https://youtu.be/GYZq5frO4rk (view from behind)

Interesting the time span you hear to hit the target. pretty slow.

Thanks Chip

What a waste of nice, collectible 12mm Gyrojet rockets! Still, a nice video. On the second one, made from behind the shooter, did you notice the time lag between the rocket firing and the target impact? The Gyrojet is accelerating when it leaves the gun’s muzzle at about 300 fps or so, and takes a brief moment to speed up to its highest velocity of about 1,200 fps.

There’s at least one other similar video done recently by the NRA for its “Gun Gurus” TV series. Interestingly, none of the NRA museum’s Gyrojet firearms are functional. I know one of the senior curators, and he asked to borrow one of my 13mm guns for the video, and I was happy to do that, together with a few rounds of 13mm ammo.

Mel, I disagree.
Part of preserving the technological heritage is documenting how things worked, and videos do exactly that.
I am by no means a fan of the video inflation, because I am not willing to waste my time looking 99.999 percent of the time at absolute rubbish. But especially a weapon like Gyrojet, which operates very different from ordinary firearms, is in my view well worth spending a few rounds to preserve a demonstration of its action.

JPeelen, I agree in general but here one would have expected a more scientific approach like high speed footage been taken and Vo measured etc. and not just watching a guy blowing the rounds downrange.
Let alone that the projectiles could have been recovered and presented to make it all complete. Also it would have been good to see before the exact rounds that got fired, means properly IDd and weight/measured etc.

As it is now it is not much different from any gun-nut clip in the web. Sorry to be over critical.

Points taken. However, these days computer-generated graphics can and do show the detailed operation of many firearms, including slow-motion segments of the interior parts during firing. I’ve seen a couple of the Gyrojet pistol, unfortunately with some errors.

Webley has recently introduced a mind-blowing air gun that is so close to an original Mark VI .455 revolver, it’s scary. The revolver comes with six brass-case cartridges, each headstamped “Webley .455” and a speedloader. Extra sets of six rounds with a speedloader are available for $20 (Pyramyd Air). A compressed gas bottle goes in the handle to power the .177 BB “bullets” in the nose of each cartridge. The revolver can be fired single or double action, and breaks open for loading and unloading of spent rounds just like the original. The Webley web site has a CGI video (which is the point of this) that shows how to disassemble and reassemble the revolver, with the screws turning out and the individual parts moving out and away. All in motion, and all without buggering even one screw.

Of course the operation of firearms needs to be documented. We all agree on that. But why waste collectible cartridges in a video that really doesn’t show very much and that explains nothing?

I fully agree on that!

Same as those bubbas shooting away the 20x180R rounds in their Swedish m/42 recoilless rifles just to show off at shooting events.

The eternal conflict between collectors and shooters. Many of us are both and it can be agonizing at times.

Ray

I agree with Mel, in that more scientific videography should have been conducted. I personally see no value to these videos. They should have at least zoomed in on the firearm instead of the wide angle shot with the military man making funny faces.

-Dave