Vietnam War 5.56 clip

Hello everyone, I’m new here.
I’m looking for 5.56 stripper clips from Vietnam War but I found almost nothing about them, how can I recognize them?

1 Like

Grucchak, welcome to the forum!

To the best of my memory, (and if I am wrong, I am sure someone will explain), there is no difference between the stripper clips used in Vietnam and those used today.

The body of the clip was steel, the liner brass with little tabs on the eds to hold the rounds in. When they were used, about 3~4 out of ten had the tab on the end where the rounds sripped off into the magazine break free of the liner.

Clips I see made over the past 20 years or so have no markings that I remember seeing, whereas the Vietnam era clips I remember have Government markings like: CGG or LOT followed by ASSY and a lot number, such as 11010483.

Remember that those thin steel clip bodies bent quite easily, and rusted quickly, and were not really intended to be re-used, as the earlier M14 stripper clips could be.

I hope my bad memory aids you somewhat.

Ok, thank you, much appreciated

Despite years of looking I’ve yet to find a picture showing US troop using cartridge clips in Vietnam … there must have been surplus ammunition from that period sold into the civilian market in the past, can anyone remember if it came clipped ?

The lack of period photographs is surprising as the intervals between combat were favourite times for photographers to work and recharging magazines would have been a frequent task … and there are quite a few pictures from the 1914-18 war when doing this, when there was far less photographic coverage.

Without putting a time-frame on the object, this is what a US made 5,56x45 clip looks like, in this case made by GG Greene;

A magazine charging adaptor was needed as the magazine had to be loaded off the rifle, there were no clip guide slots on production versions of the AR-15. The wide end of the guide fitted over the rear of the magazine whilst the cartridge clip slotted into the narrower end;

2 Likes

Almost all my stuff is still in removal boxes and as my new house needs a complete rewiring, everything is staying in the boxes … I did go on a hunt for AR-15/XM16 manuals and I found these;

From the very first, Training Circular TC 23-8 dated April 1964.

Slightly later but the earliest DOD manual is FM 23-9 from July 1966

Oddly, there’s no mention of stripper clips anywhere.

Peter

Hi Peter, you wont’ find mention in early manuals because the clip entered production in November 1966 (contract signed with G. G. Greene Enterprises). Also, both reference drawings -11010483 and 11010484- date from January 12, 1966.

Since then, standard packing configuration for 5.56 M193 ammunition was 10 round clips packed in bandoleers inside a 840 round box.

Here is a picture from 1969:

Regards,

Fede

3 Likes

Fede: I have a 5.56 clip I picked up on a pubic rifle range near Brady, Texas sometime between 1968 and 1973 which is marked as having been made by A.L.S. Is there any documentary evidence who this is and when they were contracted to produce the clips? Jack

ALS was Allegheny Metal Stamping Inc. of West Warren, Pennsylvania … but as for the dates of production, I’ve got no idea.

Peter

1 Like

Peter: Thanks for the ID. Jack

Nice photo. It was taken on a U.S. Navy vessel, probably one of the riverine force vessels, perhaps one of the LST “mother ships” which supported the PBR boats. The sailor doing the loading is wearing sound powered telephones, standard on all Navy ships from WW2 to the present. Between the tips of the cartridges and the phone mouthpiece is a caped “voice tube” used to relay commands from topside or bridge wings to the helmsman. The white on black marking “01” on the right is a marking to designate the location aboard the ship. 01 is the first deck above the main deck. It would have additional numbers after the 01 to designate the frame number (a way of measuring back from the pointy end of the boat) and another number showing if it is right or left of centerline, and finally a letter indicating the main us of the space.

The sailor was probably a lookout or posted for security against swimmer or small boat attacks.

Note two more loaded clips beneath the magazine, on the shelf under the “01” marker, and the rifle has a Garand sling…

Just can’t resist John, the pointy end of the boat is called the bow.

See you in SLICS & you can keel-haul me then.

My Dad was U.S. Navy in WWII:
Front = Bow
Back = Stern
Right = Starboard
Left = Port [What was once called the Larboard, as opposed to the daggerboard or centerboard]
Centerline = Keel [on the bottom]
Sorry, but my Dad was haunting me for a moment there.