Vintage Large Shell Identification

Hello everyone,

I have been scouring the internet to find a place that could help me out with this. I received this from my grandfather, and have been trying to identify what this shell is and if it would be worth anything.

Thanks!

I also don’t have the ability to post more than one picture, but the inside of the cap says:
A16-13-25
SuperCast

Howdy Uric,
A side on picture would also help as well as some dimensions (diameter, overall length), does it have a copper drive band near the base? Have you taken the wood base off to see if any markings under there?
More info the better please.
Regards Ozzi.

Uric, do the top and bottom unscrew? If so can you show images in disassembled condition with angled shots of the nose and base section?

Hey guys,

Sorry about the wait. The overall height is 15.5 inches, circumference is 13.375 inches, diameter (from the circumference) is about 4.25 inches. I unscrewed the base to see no helpful markings.

Hopefully the pictures help. (I can only post one at a time since I am a new member, please let me know if this is against the rules)

Image of unscrewed bottom

Small band towards the bottom
Shell3

Cap

Ok, this is a US 4.2 inch (107mm) rifled mortar shell without the obturating/driving band and tail boom and without fuze.

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/WatervlietArsenalMuseum/Mortars/pages/03M30_4_2inchMortarRounds.htm

1 Like