Vom Hofe is Vos?

I have a headstamped 25x61 Vom Hofe by Qual-Cart. I believe that Qual-Cart only supplies brass cases, so it must be a reload.
More accurately, a “first load.” Don’t know if it is a “factory-first” load or not. The problem is that I can only find reference to the 25x61
Vom Hofe as a brass case, not a legitimate caliber.

The cartridge actually measures 0.256 x 2.39 in inches or 6.5 x 60.73 in mm’s. (That’s bullet and case length.)

I can find:
5,6 x 61 Vom Hofe
5,6 x 65 Vom Hofe
6 x 66 Vom Hofe
7 x 75 Vom Hofe
9.3 x 66 Vom Hofe

None of them seem close?!?!

I’m lost…

Jones

Nothing computes with my mm to inches calculator, sorry
I thought they did load ?

This is a wildcat based on the 5,6 x 61 Vom Hofe necked up

There are several Vom Hofe cartridges, both designed by Vom Hofe himself and by others ( Gehmann) who put the Vom Hofe name on them.

The commercial ones are:

5,6 x 61
5,6 x 61 R
7 x 66
7 x 73
7 x 75R
9,3 x 66

plus some experimental ones such as the 6 x 66 you mentioned above, but no 25 x 61

I think that Qual Cart can provide loaded custom ammo too

Joe - Quality Cartridge definitely does sell some loaded ammo. I have a box of 9 mm Makarov they made in my own collection.

I guess I’m still living in yesteryear. I knew Qual-Cart as a manufacture of cases only, not complete rounds. After checking on their website, I see that they manufacture about every caliber devised by man. Okay, okay! Not “every”, but one $%!! of a lot of them!! And (of course) manufacture complete ammunition also.

The 25x61 Vom Hofe by Qual-Cart that I have would then be considered a “wildcat?” Since I don’t collect wildcats, it ceases to be a problem for me. I’m still perplexed that no one that I can find has written about this caliber. No mention of the 25x62 written up in gun magazines, journals and etc. Couldn’t find anything on the internet either. Of course I don’t subscribe to every gun magazine sold. Nothing in the ECRA database or anywhere else that I can find.

In the late 60’s I had a Federal Ammunition Manufacture’s License. I did that so that I could legally sell my reloaded ammunition to local gun shops, mostly for low cost target shooting. If I had “headstamped” them at that time, they would be collector’s items today! Liability concerns and the amount of Federal paperwork required stopped me from trying to remain legal!

As always, I thank you all for the valuable input, but I’m still a little perplexed that there would be enough demand to make cases for such a caliber. Maybe manufacturing techniques have reached a level that it can now be cost effective.

Jones

Qual-Cart in the last few years have been attempting to fill a niche market of the wildcat rounds, almost every month there is a few new, previously handload only, wildcats showing up with a QUAL-CART headstamp.

While most of these Qual-Cart rounds are still essentially Wildcats, at least with the correct headstamp on them, they are easy to identify.

In their catalog there are several strange and exotic wildcats. Some of them could be used by a so little number of shooters ( even only one) that you will never find any loading or any other data about them from other sources.

Obviously, if a wildcat is widely used they put it on the market since there is a lot of shooters that use it. If not, its only money…with a minimum order of brass you can have your own wildcat brass with your headstamp.

I think that the 25 x 61 brass has been ordered by a gunsmith , maybe even an European one. Even the parent cartridge is a rather uncommon round

Anyway, note thatthe rim groove of your round is rather deeper and higher than the one commonly seen of 5,6 x 61 specimen.

I still don’t understand how they can keep the costs down that much. Has cartridge brass manufacturing costs been greatly reduced due to modern production methods?

As most of you know they are number of SLIC, CCCA and others who have had commemorative cartridges made. Wonder what the cost was? Couldn’t have been much of a production run.

Maybe we could chip in and get a lot of 9mm John Moss Special’s?

Jones

It seems odd that they would use an Imperial bullet diameter measurement and a metric case length for this cartridge. I don’t think I’ve seen that done before.

Falcon,
it is common if the parent cartridge is of “metric” origin… for example there are several wildcats based on the 8 x 57 Mauser or the 8 x 68 that maintain the “x 57” or “x 68” moniker in their names

In East Germany, in 1984 and 1985, VEB Spreewerk Lübben (SWL) manufactured a cartridge based on the 7.62 x 39 mm case deisgnated, with packaging so-marked, “0.30 x 39 MC” with FMJ bullet, and “0.30 x 39 SPS” with soft point bullet. The rounds were loaded in military cases headstamped, respectively, 05 84 and 05 85. The were blister-packed ten rounds to a package. I have the “85” date in my own DDR Collection. An interesting mix of inch and metric designations. I don’t know the why of it - my German is insufficient to understand the entire text of the below-referenced book, which covers these rounds.

Reference: "VEB Spreewerk Lübben (SWL) bis Industriepark Spreewerk Lübben GmbH (ISL), " by Gerd Mischinger, page 86.

Did this cartridge use a slightly smaller diameter bullet than the .312" used by the 7.62x39?

Falcon - the bullet diameter is .3105" (7.89 mm) at the case mouth, on my specimen. Mischinger’s book, as far as I can find, does not report the bullet diameter, but it appears to me to be standard for the 7.62 x 39 cartridge. I cannot explain the reason for the mixed name.
Bullets were made in the SPS version in 9.0 grams and 11.0 grams. I don’t know which I have, due to the small difference in relation to the full cartridge weight.

That said, it was not my intention to divert this thread to discussion of this cartridge or the caliber in general, but rather simply comment on another example of mixed inch/metric measurements. I have no more information on this cartridge, but if any question should come up, I would suggest asking it on a new thread.