W. Collath horizontal pinfire shotshell?

Could you tell me anymore about this shotshell?

1. As you said it is an horizontal pinfire shotshell.
    It is part of a serie including the following calibers : 0,1,3,4,5,6,7,8 (note: the 2 caliber is missing)
    First trail (I have) of these shells is in 1908.Last trail (I have) is 1927.
    Made by W. Collath in Frankfurt, Germany
    Paper color is green for black powder , red for smokeless powder;
    Ctges with white paper exist also.
    the green tubes can be either in soft or hard paper
    Different hstps exist: teschner; Diana (Impossible to tell you excatly, I am not at home)

2. The same calibers exist also in centerfire shotshells.
    About them there is an more or less equivalent to regular gauges:

0 -> 10
1 -> 12
3 -> 14
4 -> 16
5 -> 18
6 -> 20
7 -> 24
8 -> 28

I have still not finished to study these equivalences for my book, therefore I give you the above equivalent board as it appears in some od catalogues, without any confirmation.

(There was an article written on these equivalence in an IAA paper.
Unfortunately it is of no interest (for me) because the guy checked the equivalence with nowadays standard of shotshells, forgetting the dimensions where not the same in these old times !!

JP

I am really interested i what the inside of this shell looks like. I cant quite imagine how that pin is being held there.

What was the significance of these shells? Centerfire had been around for awhile, and it seems that it would be hard to make a gun that sent a hammer far enough into the shell to make it reliable…Ha, maybe it wasn’t reliable and that is why we do not use this kind of shell still today!

I told you the first trail in my documentation was 1908.
but these ctges are a lot older I think
JP

As, hopefully, you can see the "primer " is only a small flathead nail (secured by friction). It in turn strikes the upside down (to my thinking) percussion cap & acts as an anvil. The cap must provide ignition, however the very tightly coiled paper around the cap is VERY hard.
You will find these with a chemically blackened steel outer reinforcing, as yours is, & with a silvered hard ‘paper’ (?) upper reinforcing.
The Collath is the most common horz. P.F. Drawn brass pistol rounds are known as are other makers shot shells showing different construction materials.

Was the gun anywhat different from a regular modern shotgun?