W.R.A.Co. .50-110 EX

What does the “EX.” mean in this headstamp? Thanks in advance for any info.

“express”.I think that,like your 38-55 round,it indicates a smokeless load or a heavier load than the standard one

Falcon,
Often, but not always, the factory loaded WRA Co .50 Express cartridges will have a copper tubed lead bullet with a raised ‘X’ on the flat tip of the copper tube.

The WRA Co Did as you say have Express Bullets and they had the copper plug with an X stamped in it, however the .50 Express was one of several calibers of an express series of cartridges for the model 1886 & 1876 Winchester rifles. There was a 38 EX, 40EX, 50-95 EX, 50-100-450, 50-110, & 50-140 EX that I can think of off the top of my head. some of these were only known to exist on bullet boards. The first number is the caliber the second is the amount of Blk Powder that was loaded and the last number was the bullet weight. As they started being listed in the 1880’s I would think that they were all originally black powder loads. Some of these cartridges are getting real expensive to buy when you can find them.

Hope this helps,

Doug

The 38, 40, 45 and 50 3-1/4 " Winchester cartridges were NOT used in Model 76 or 86 rifles. They are too long for the actions of these rifles. They were used in the Winchester Single Shot rifle. All of the cartridges mentioned were production rounds, although the .50-140 is very rare. They can be found on Winchester CARTRIDGE boards, as well. Falcon’s question refers to the .50-110 Express used in the Model 1886 rifle. The “50 Express” you refer to is the .50-95, and was used in the Model 1876 rifle. All were originally BP loads. The .50-110 made it into the smokeless era.

My round is NOT loaded with a copper tubed bullet, just a conventional JSP. I know it is the original bullet as the cartridge has a factory crimp and has been inerted by drilling the case.

So, from my understanding, “Express” means that it is a .50-110 Loaded with smokeless powder. What is the approximate age of my round?

Falcon…The 50-110 was regularly loaded with JSP bullets, and also FMJ, with smokeless powder, up until about 1935 ? W.R.A.Co. 50-110 EX. was the standard headstamp, regardless of bullet type, etc. But, I believe you will find the same headstamp used on BP loads. As to age, post a pic…let’s have a look at the primer and headstamp…later rounds tend to have a domed nickeled primer and a “large” headstamp…

Thanks, mine does have the domed nickeled primer and large text in the headstamp. Looking at the inside of the case through the holes, it was a smokeless round as it doesn’t have the internal corrosion usually associated with black powder.