"W.R.A. CO. 50-70" cut down round

Why was it cut down?

DSCF7951

Perhaps to make a .50 Pistol ?

1 Like

The primer indent looks like it was last fired in a falling block design. Perhaps used as a blank with a Sharps? Jack

1 Like

I have more than a few modern .50-70 that were cut down by meself for that very reason for a friend to shoot a RB pistol, and a RB “Cadet” [probably a Bannerman conversion] rifle with the same chamber.

1 Like

I have come across several 50-70 and 50 Carbine cases that were cut down and reloaded for the Remington rolling block pistol - 50 Army. Pretty slick re-purposing!

2 Likes

I guess it could be anything, but Jack’s comments makes me think of the .50 caliber Lyle line throwing gun based on the Sharps action. It was used with .50-70 cut-down cases (1.27" length) headstamped W. R. A. Co. 50-70 (ringed head) and also with .50 Carbine cases headstamped W. R. A. Co. .50 CARB. and .50-70 cases headstamped S U.M.C. H 50-70 of unknown length.

Vlad, what is the length of this case?

Regards,

Fede

Fede- Can you give a source for the Sharps based line throwing guns using a case cut to 1.27" length?
I have never found anything to suggest anything other that standard .50-70 blackpowder blanks were used with those.

John, the cut-down and Carbine length cases are found in cased sets. They are also mentioned in Shuey’s vol. II p. 168, where it says: “Buff wad .500’’ down, oval brass primer, 1.270’’ CSL, Reported to be Lyle Line Throwing Blank”.

Regards,

Fede

I’ll measure it ASAP, it is Thankgiving here, crazy time, I am at my parents in Manhattan.

Wow… Manhattan alone can make on crazy! Good luck!

Case length is about 21mm, the cut is uneven, slighthly longer on one side.

Hmmm… pipe cutter or hacksaw, I wonder? We, at least, used a proper case trimmer and chamfer tools!