Watervliet Arsenal Museum

A note to anyone thinking of visiting this museum.
This is what the museum’s curator replied to me: "The museum is closed to visitors since most of the artifacts have been removed. The museum is being renovated and is expected to reopen in late 2015. The museum is open for research."
Hopefully, Pete and I will attend the re-opening and post pictures in the future.

Pete met one of the civilian board members (Charlie W.) of the museum here at my house last week. The subject of the museum never came up or I would have mentioned the museum wasn’t open. They have very little funding and the heat has not even been on in the museum for over a year. Offices are heated but the display areas are not.

sksvlad
SORRY YOU WERE UNABLE TO VISIT THE WATERVLIET ARSENAL MUSEUM. IT’S NOT AS LARGE AS THE MUSEUM AT THE UNITED STATES MILITRAY ACADEMY AT WEST POINT BUT IT IS A WONDERFUL PLACE. I VISITED THE MUSEUM ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. A LADY NAMED ROSEMARIE HUTCHINSON TOOK ME AROUND PERSONALLY. SHE ALSO LOCATED THE RESEARCH MATERIALS I WANTED TO LOOK AT AND BROUGHT THEM TO ME HAVING PROVIDED ME A SPACE TO WORK IN. ONE OF THE ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHS SHE BROUGHT TO ME DEPICTED A YOUNG BOY SETTING IN THE BREECH OF ONE OF THE LARGE CANNON MANUFACTURED AT THE ARSENAL. THE YOUNG BOY WAS STEPHEN VINCENT BENET, SON OF COLONEL JAMES WALKER BENET (ARSENAL COMMANDER 11 MARCH 1919- 28 MAY 1919), GRANDSON OF GENERAL STEPHEN VINCENT BENET (CHIEF OF ORDNANCE 20 MAY 1874- 22 JANUARY 1891), AND AUTHOR OF,[i]JOHN BROWN’S BODY[i], FOR WHICH HE RECEIVED THE PULTIZER PRIZE IN 1929. THE ARSENAL MUSEUM IS NAMED IN COLONEL JAMES WALKER BENET’S HONOR.
SHOULD YOU BE ABLE TO VISIT THE MUSEUM AFTER IT REOPENS, PICK WARMER WEATHER, AND TOUR THE ARSENAL GOUNDS AND LOOK AT ALL OF THE CANNON. BY THE WAY, ALL OF THE TUBES FOR THE ATOMIC CANNON WERE FABRICATED AT WATERVLIET. IF THE BOOK, [i]THE WATERVLIET ARSENAL 1813-1993,[i]JAMES V. MURRAY & JOHN SWANTEK, EDITORS, IS STILL AVAILABLE FROM THE ARSENAL BUY YOURSELF A COPY. IT IS A VERY FINE BOOK. WHEN I ENDED MY VISIT AT THE ARSENAL, ROSEMARIE PRESENTED ME A COPY OF THE BOOK AND A COPY OF THE PHOTOGRAPH OF THE YOUNG STEPHEN VINCENT BENET SETTING IN THE CANNON BREECH TO USE AS A BOOKMARK. ONE LAST NOTE, WATERVLIET ARSENAL IS OUR NATION’S OLDEST ARSENAL.