WCC 69 .45 acp

I found a .45 ACP with a magnetic bullet. I tried looking for any reference and only found the following post from 2009…

Is this one of the aluminum case cartridges? If so, what were the circumstances surrounding it’s production? Cost savings?

Edit: Still no scale yet, but I can give caliper measurements now if needed.

I think there’s nothing extraordinary to your cartridge. The case looks to be made of ordinary brass. An aluminium case looks completely different as shown by the pictures. There were enough reasons for the use of aluminium as reducing weight is one of the best known. But maybe some “forty-fiver” can comment?

The round shown at the beginning of this thread is, indeed, a normal, brass-case cartridge “Ball M1911.”

Regarding US military experiments with aluminum cases of .45 M1911 caliber, I suggest the following reading:

“History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Volume I,” by Hackley, Woodin and Scranton, page 29 dealing with cartridges made prior to WWII.

“History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Volume III,” by Hackley, Woodin and Scranton, Page 22 dealing with cartridges made in the 1960s and early 1970s.

There is simply too much to put here.!

Below is a picture of Aluminum case .45 cartridges, which does not include those from Frankford Arsenal in 1931, 1933 and 1934.

All shown are from WCC or WRA and date from 1969 thru 1971. I show this only to indicate the large number of specimens there are. Those shown are all in my own collection, and do not by any means represent all known variations., unfortunately.

Edited to add below a picture of an Olin Corporation box label for Lot WCC-l-DAAG25-70 - C-0009 Aluminum Case .45 Ammunition:

John Moss

1 Like

These two landed on my desk last week. Nothing special, headstamp WCC 74. But what about the style of the box? Is this military?

Those are military boxes, for common Olin .45 Ball M1911 ammunition. Olin was assigned the old Western Cartridge Company “WCC” headstamp.

John Moss