Weatherby .375 Magnum headstamps / primer markings

Here is the box, it says “Made in Sweden”, inside - a paper insert with NORMA name and address for future requests. Why is NORMA name not on the headstamp or the box? All Norma I know always has Norma name on the headstamp.

Vlad–Weatherby contracted Norma to make all of their ammunition for them in the 1960’s to about 1980 when RWS of Gemany took over the contract. Since it was a large contract Norma would use any headstamp specified by the purchaser, which, in this case was WEATHERBY. By the way, you can tell if the cartridge is an original factury load or a reload by looking at the primer. Original loadings have “NP” on the primer. Those mase by RWS have “RWS” on the primer.

sks

I don’t know who made the earliest brass with the Weatherby headstamp but I have always been led to believe that the stuff you buy today, whether with the Weatherby or Norma headstamp, is made by Norma. Good question though.

Just saw Ron’s post which answers your question better than I could. Now I know.

But Ron, I have several original cartridges that have neither the NP nor RWS on the primer.

Ray

My box looks original and authentic to my inexperienced eye and my primers have nothing on them.

I sold Weatheby ammunition for 38 years, and while I don’t collect sporting rifle, so my memory might not be so good on this issue, I don’t recall ever seeing a primer marked “RWS” on any of it, and don’t really recall the Norma “joined” NP marking on Weatherby ammo either, although it appeared on plenty of other Norma ammo that we sold. Really not sure though, on the Norma marking. I am sure on the RWS one. Am not sure that I have ever seen any RWS primer marked with those initials, come to think of it. What calibers did they appear on? By the way, I think if it is technically possible, that the title of this thread should be changed. I assume you are talking about Weatherby .375 Magnum ammunition. I am not aware of Weatherby ever offering any cartridge with the “.357” designation as in the revolver cartridge, .357 Magnum. Future interested parties wouldn’t find this thread in a search of “Weatherby .375 Ammunition,” to my limited computer knowledge.

John, Ron, sks, et al

I have a WEATHERBY 300 MAGNUM original cartridge with the RWS marked primer. So I assume that it is a post-1980 production?

Like you John, I don’t believe I have seen any of the Norma/Weatherby cartridges with the NP marked primers. I do have some with the green primer sealant that is typical of Norma production so I assume they are of the earlier (Norma) production. Many of the Norma cartridges (308 Norma, 358 Norma, etc) do have both the green sealant and the NP primers, although I have some that have neither and some that have one but not the other.

All very confusing. I’m glad I’m not a “headstamp hunter.” Or maybe I am?
Just when things have quited down after the holidays this kind of question comes up so now I’ll have to get out the cigar boxes and look for all the various Weatherby cartridges that I have to see what is what.

Ray

I have the following with “NP” primers: .257, 270 and .300
Weatheby all with Norma “Green” primer seals… The following with “RWS” primers: .270 and .300 Weatheby with deep purple-red primer seals. Many other Weatherby calibers with plain primers, both nickel and brass.

Sorry, my mis-typing. It is .375 (see photo), not .357.

sks - fixed your typo; you could have as well - just click the “edit” button on the right side in the bar immediately above your original post. This will bring up both the subject heading and message body in windows where you can change / add / delete to your heart’s content (within the site rules).

I’ve seen the NP logo on the primers of many different early Weatherby rounds. In addition to those listed by Ray, according to my records, I had a 7mm WthbyMag so loaded many years ago when I was a general collector. I’ve also sold some full “Fox” boxes of .224 with the NP primers as well as some .340 singles with the markings.

norma did headstamp some of their Weatherby Carts. I have the following norma HS: 224, 240, 270, 300, 340, 378, 426, 460, 7mm, also a 338-378 with N on the headstamp. Speer also did a run on the 300 Wby Mag, smaller than “normal” primer. Thanks for all the info. trying to be a Wby Headstamp collector is a real mess. Vic

For you die-hard Weatherby collectors Speer also made Weatherby ammo in several calibers. It has a Speer headstamp and the boxes are so marked on the back lower left corner. Apparently the association did not last long because Mr. Weatherby was not satisfied with the product quality.

For you die-hard Weatherby collectors Speer also made Weatherby ammo in several calibers. It has a Speer headstamp and the boxes are so marked on the back lower left corner. Apparently the association did not last long because Mr. Weatherby was not satisfied with the product quality.

Did make “R-P” Weatherby ammo also. Or is the brass made by Norma ore else?

[/img]

I have two 300 Wby Mag made by different manufactors, I guess they make the more popular rounds. For the 300 Wby Mag I have a Remington round and A Federal round. I have a 257 Wby Mag made by Remington and a 257 made by PMC,. I have a 270 Wby Mag made by Remington and another made by PMC. 375 Wby Mag made by A-Square and another made by Qual-Cart. And a 7mm Wby Mag made by PMC.
Weatherby also got on the popular band wagon by making a 30-06 Springfield, 270 Win, and a 375 H&H at least at least they are the three I have. And according to Weatherby they amde a 338 Win and a 7mm Rem Mag.

Just a shot of both marked primers side-by-side.