Weatherby

I’ve been thinking about collecting US Belted Magnum cartridges and naturally one that comes to mine are the Weatherby’s. Looking on GB and AA at the various cartridges for sale I start thinking about reloads. The cartridges with the Weatherby name on the head I’ve seen with flat nickel primers and oval nickel primers, are the ones with the oval primer reloads?
thank you Carolyn

I have a .270 and a couple 300’s with oval primer & they don’t look to be reloaded but the vast majority do use flat primers,

Speer made brass for Weatherby, as did other US makers and overseas makers, so lots of different variations, Goes on forever - have over 100 pieces in my drawers.

The factory dummies are without primers, look for a nice clean pocket.

norma and RWS both made brass used by weatherby also. The reload vs factory load is a fine line as Pete mentioned it takes a careful look see.

My Weatherby dummies no primer but the case has a reddish tint also. Which indicates that it is not made by a re-loader.

Vic - just curious, as both a collector and a hand-loader for 50+ years. Why would a red tint to the case preclude a cartridge from being assembled by a reloader? Not saying you are not correct. I just don’t see the correlation.

John I assumed it was a marker that a reloaded would not take the trouble. It is not a paint but a red stain I would think it was done to identify the dummy from a real round when it was used by a dealer.

Vic
This red stain your noting is new to me.

I have a number of dummies in different Weatherby case types & have gathered them over the years. The only thing in common with all of them, is a new empty case, nice clean EMPTY primer pocket with a vent hole, never fired & with a correct bullet crimped in place.

The empty primer pocket should identify it to any dealer as inert.

I have seen proof loadings & those have a red base, is that what you mean?

I obtained a complete set of Weatherby dummies on auction. They have never had a primer in them as the primer pocket is clean and sharp. They do not have a vent hole in the side but they have a reddish tint so I assumed they were factory functional dummies with the color to identify them as a set of functional dummies. the bullets are correct and seated to the correct depth as compared to a typical round.

Vic
the vent hole is in the bottom of the primer pocket. Vents the flash.

No idea of the auction you bought those at, but like I say I’ve been gathering factory dummies for 30 + years now & have never seen any coloring like that. Not that I’ve seen everything.

edited to add: perhaps these were coated with red dicum (spelling?) at a shop to use as feed check dummies?

Vic - to the contrary of what you wrote, dummies marked in the way you describe are, in my view, much more likely to be the product of a handloader, identifying them for his own personal reasons, than a factory product.

On loaded rounds, handloaders mark cases all the time, usually for the purpose of quick identification of their own ejected brass so that others on the range would leave it alone. I used to put a red stripe across the head of my .45 and .38 Special loads (the latter fired in a custom-built Colt Government self-loading pistol in that caliber), until I found that the marker-pen ink built up in the firing pin hole. I discovered this when I dry-snapped my .45 a couple of times prior to beginning shooting. It then would not begin to feed a loaded cartridge. I quickly discovered that my firing pin had been seized by the build up of semi-dried ink, and was sticking way out of the firing pin holes - father than I ever realized it could. Obviously, I discontinued the practice. At our range, though, it is quite common to find fired cases the ownere missed having a series of colored stripes around the case, in different orders and colors depending on who it belonged to.

Factory dummies often have a colored case - I have black, nickel, red, blue, etc. in my own collection - but I have never seen one with “casual” painted case-markings, nor with simply a tint to the brass. A reddish tint on a case that has been on the ground awhile is normally just contamination, and then sometimes some cases are “redder” than others which I have always assumed was due to a slightly higher level of copper in the brass.

Just my thoughts on the issue. I am not a metallurgist or chemist.