Webley Ammunition Items

I just acquired a box of .22 short blank “Launching Cartridges” for some sort of Webley target launcher, sold under the Webley brand, and a metal tin of lead air rifle pellets, also sold under the Webley brand. I had not seen similar items before, although granted, they are not in my field and I may well have seen them and not noticed them.

The .22 blanks are rosebud crimped and have the Eley “E” headstamp.

Joe will post a picture of these items on this thread in a day or so, on my behalf.

I just wondered if they are unusual and of collector interest, or common as fleas.

John Moss

John,
When I was young (which, admittedly, was almost as long ago as when you were young), I had one of these Webley devices which used a .22 blank to launch a [empty] tin can as a sort of poor-man’s clay pigeon. The blanks were common in England in the early 60’s. I’ll leave it to one of the current residents to say if they are now a collector’s item…Chris P.

Webley ammunition items as described in the opening remarks of this thread.

John Moss

So THAT’S what they’re for!

Be fun for launching soda cans! Although you might need more power for a full one

[quote=“Cyberwombat”]So THAT’S what they’re for!

Be fun for launching soda cans! Although you might need more power for a full one[/quote]

The tin can launcher is a hand held device and the recoil is minimal with an empty can. Upping the power to shoot full cans would be an interesting experience, your wrist might ache a bit.

gravelbelly

John, these are fairly common cartridges. Think the launcher was sold in the U.S. at one time. Would guess launching a full can would turn out about the same as the guy firing the 600 Nitro pistol!!

Gourd