Weekend finds

I’ve got a semi-local, once a year show that I normally find good, cheap knick-knacks at. Yesterday’s show did not disappoint. The grenade fragmentation coil set me back $10, the cartridges $15.

5 Likes

Well done!
The French bomb fuze is almost painfull to look at!!!

Because it’s French?

The individual that I got it from had purchased it being told it was Japanese. He was a little frustrated to find out.

Aaaaahahaa, well, never looked at it this way! Must be the American view I guess? :-)
Nah, because these are scarce as chicken teeth! Let alone the condition!

That gentleman should have invested more money and brain into knowledge and not only into “cool looking” bling-bling stuff with Japanese characters (which are not present on the fuze) or svastikas or what ever gets people going when they think they are interested in ammo.

For some collectors that only collect Japanese the competition is so fierce and the pickings so seldom that they are afraid to hesitate and wait for full identification. Being a general collector I envy their focus, but not the cut-throat competition.

1 Like

Greed is a bad advisor!

Nice finds! Thanks for sharing.

Something I know nothing about … but curiousity is a wonderful thing.

What is the wire around the circumference of the vanes for ?

Pete

Peter, if it would be a 2020 designed fuze I would say it is for protection of birds, insects or naked parachutists of the 27th gender so none of their private parts (like the nose or ears) get twisted up in the arming vane.

But as it is about 80 years old: maybe to provide more stability to the vanes?

My guess. Safety wire attached to the fuze to prevent the vanes from turning via a safety pin. The ring on one end is attached to the bomb strut (on the airplane) and when the bomb is released the wire remains and pulls the safety pin allowing the vanes to turn and arm the fuze.

Brian

Was looking through all my French docs (less than I wished to have) and was unable to find the exact type shown above.
While almost all features of the fuze do yell “France” at me I did not find a single one in the manuals which had a round vane protector mounted.
Also most other French bomb fuzes were of brass and not of steel.
I assume the one above must be even more rare than normal ones already are.

The theory with the arming wire or thelike seems not to be the explanation.
The fuze has (like some other French types) a safety bracket (red arrows) which comes off sideways. Also keep in mind that the eye on the front is the suspension for the whole bomb.

Here such a similar bracket from another French type:
bracket

Jeff, any chance for more images of that fuze?
In particular of the markings if present.

1 Like

What caliber are the flare-cartridges? And has someone maybe a picture of that Parkerdevice?

Gosh … so those flaring cartridges are the grown-up version of the little hand tool I used to make up petrol pipes for my motor-cycles.

Flaring Blank

The “flare” cartridges are tool cartridges for shaping metal, not a signal cartridge
about .45 cal & also known in yelow and brown power levels

Rats…I was all excited we could do some horse trading…I love special purpose rounds…especially tool rounds
(I dont have a box for the yellow blank on it’s side)

The reason for two “heavy” load boxes is that the rounds are two different lengths

your boxes are mint…if you aren’t married to them…lets chat !!

PS…in the the tool punch family too

2 Likes

I did not find a picture, but here is a partial description from a 1962 Geberal Electric report:

3 Likes

Pepper, since you mentioned tool rounds I will post something I found in my dads knick-knack box a while ago. Anyone know what this is?

1 Like