Weekend Gun Show Haul

Cartridges from left to right:
Pre-.22 rimfire, wierd little bottlenecked rimfire, .22 CB ‘U’ HS, .22 CB ‘US’ HS, wierd .22 LR full size Blank [?], UMC ‘H S’ .45-70 Gov’t blank, Western .45-70 Gov’t, 12 Ga TRACER marked ‘RA’ on the base, and ‘TRACER 8 C’ on the top wad!
** What is the far left cartridge called? What is the 2nd from left? What the ‘8 c’ mean on the tracer? **

Boxes from left to right:
Romanian made 8mm Kropatschek wood bullet ‘Blanks’ Pack-O-Cartridges, (please excuse if the translation is off):
‘The Polvora Factory [OR The Powder Factory]
in Barcarena
10 Cartridges with Simulated Bullet
8mm model/89’

Connecticut Cartridge Coprporation box of .50-70 Gov’t, 8 loaded, 3 empty, (and ready to load for one of my two .50-70 rifles!), ‘CCC .50/70’ HS. The loaded rounds do not look like reloads, the primers are identical to those on the fired rounds.

CANUCK 10 Ga, 2 1/2", #4 shot ]19 rounds], but what is seriusly neat is it is labled “Waterprrof - Finished In Duco”, and made by Dominion Canuk. Not really my ‘thing’, but way too cool to pass up!

There are a couple other things, but different category so I will post those separately, after I get some sleep.

Those two little ones on the left are gallery cartridges, they’ve got a long German name that starts with U, but I believe one is a 4mm. Also, that’s a nice looking Canuck box!

1 Like

The “extended case” .22 appears to be a Teleshot round put out by Colt Pyrodynamics. A bird scaring cartridge in a smaller package than a shot shell. It has a relatively stout explosive report.

8C on a top wad means size 8 Chilled Shot.
4mm Ubungsmunition or practice for centre-fire and rimfire for No1.
No 2 looks like a Winchester primer that often has a shot in the top to look like a cartridge.
I should leave this for the USA experts.

The shotshell primer …with a small lead ball in it, was called .11 Whatsit…but is a make up from putting a small shot on this primer…no real gun known

Silly, but with the limited distance No. 8 shot would fly, why would that be loaded in a tracer round? Slugs I would expect…

Mainly for tracking shot pattern when shooting in low light. Makes it a lot easier to tell whether you’re too far ahead or behind when shooting.

Would that have had anything to do with shotgun training, teaching people to shoot at aircraft?

I have also heard the name “Dr. Bloomberg’s Space Accelerator Pellet” used for the .11 caliber Whatzit. I have bought one under each name. I didn’t realize that the cartridge was also the 4mm Ubung…. Thanks, I’ll add that to my list of names.

“Tracer” shotshells were used as part if WW2 aerial gunner training, partially to build skills using tracers to follow where your shots were going, and to make the shotgun training more like when they would be firing machine guns usually loaded with 1 tracer after every 4 or so ball/AP/API rounds or when APIT (Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer) cartridges were being used.
Most of the shotgun training used regular 7 1/2 or 8 chilled shot.

Hitting a stationary target was not too difficult a skill for most young men in the 1940s, but hitting a moving target is much more difficult.

the socalled .11 whatsit has nothing to do, with 4mm (M20) Übungspatrone…
the whatsit is the second from left in the first pic…and has actually no bullet on it…
The first on is the 4mm ÜbM20

PP

The Kropatschek ammo is Portugese made.

You’re correct!

I could swear the translation told me it was Romanian… maybe I was doing that much too late at night… or much to early in the morning??