Western 270 W.C.F

What is the purpose of these serrations on the bullet? Is it to help mushrooming? The brown stuff on the primer is tobacco, I bought the whole collection sorted in Vietnam era cigarette boxes.

Vlad

That’s the Western O.P.E. bullet (Open Point Expanding). A very popular bullet during the mid 1900s. It was made in several different calibers and copied by more than one manufacturer. The cannelure was supposed to aid in expansion but, in reality, the thin jacket and deep hollow point is what really made it effective on game.

Western, BTW, was the only major US ammunition manufacturer that did not have a protected point expanding bullet in it’s line until just prior to WW II when it introduced the Silvertip.

Ray

Ray, is this Silvertip you are mentioning? I am fascinated by the wavy junction between two metals, must have been expensive. These are Super-X .30-06’s. Here are their respective boxes so it is hard to tell.

Vlad

Yes, those are second generation Silvertips. The “silver” tip is actually a thin aluminum alloy that covered only the front half of the core. The jacket mouth was given an octagonal interior shape that supposedly enhanced expansion. That accounts for the “wavy” appearance.

The original Silvertip was a nickel-silver jacket liner that extended the full length of the bullet. The junction is straight rather than scalloped.

Get a copy of JOURNAL #445. I wrote a short, but excellant ;) ;), article on the US Protected Point Bullets.

Ray