Western Super-X No.8 Industrial shotshell

What does “industrial” mean?

Vlad,

That big boy you have there is used in a kiln gun. Like a mounted cannon they blasted “klinkers” off the inside of cement kilns. They are an “Industrial” as opposed to a sporting load. There should be a “belt” on the brass part to keep it out of a regular 8ga. shotgun.

Here’s Remington’s current gun and an Industrial ammunition list: remington.com/products/ammun … ystem.aspx

Dave

According to a recent article in the Double Gun Journal, 8 bore fans can still obtain fresh 8 gauge industrial NPEs. Somewhere out there is an outfit that makes a die of sorts to swage the belt down so the shells can be chambered in a shotgun. Unfortunately, there are valuable shotguns out there that have had their chambers tooled to accomodate the belted cases.

Very interesting headstamp you have there Vlad! It appears to be raised letters in the picture, quite different from mine, which is more ‘current’. I’m sure there are many, many variations out there.

Raised hstp ??? !!
I don’t think so

Another hstp I know is : Remington Industrial

JP

Regarding the appearance of raised vs. incused headstamps:

There is often “A Trick of the Light” at hand. My on-board image diagnostic tool (brain) often gets it wrong! And something like those hidden 3-D image games, if I concentrate, I can see it the other way. A little trick I learned on this Forum for these exact situations is to rotate the image 180 degrees if it does not make sense to be raised when it should be incused (stamped) or vice-versa.

This particular image on my particular monitor looks incused, but if I invert it, it looks raised. Go figure…

Dave

[quote=“DaveE”]Regarding the appearance of raised vs. incused headstamps:

There is often “A Trick of the Light” at hand. My on-board image diagnostic tool (brain) often gets it wrong! And something like those hidden 3-D image games, if I concentrate, I can see it the other way. A little trick I learned on this Forum for these exact situations is to rotate the image 180 degrees if it does not make sense to be raised when it should be incused (stamped) or vice-versa.

This particular image on my particular monitor looks incused, but if I invert it, it looks raised. Go figure…

Dave[/quote]

Hello Dave,
About me I choose an easier way: it is a recent ctge, therefore there is 99.99999 % chance the hstp is impressed
Skvald will confirm that i think.
jp

My sample , with “belted” or, better , a stepped head was made by Fiocchi

hds : FIOCCHI 8 KILN 8

Pivi,

As they ask here in the States when I go to the market: Paper or Plastic? Have never seen “KILN” used on a headstamp for these. Very interesting.

JP,

Never thought it was raised, (but I was only 99.999% certain!) just wanted to point out the “phenomena” that can play tricks on us…

On the subject of “Industrial”, did you ever find what this one was used for? You had posted an old drawing on the archived forum and I did a model of it. Always thought it might be for a similar use (as in blasting off debris from inside a kiln).

Dave

Dave,

red plastic body , brass head . Case length : 3.120" / 79.25 mm

These are loaded and sold by Fiocchi and by Eurocomm munizioni here in Italy

Eurocomm uses Fiocchi cases

You ought to see a big collection of them…this is a very moderate batch…I can’t attest to the headstamps, but most are industrial “something”…a few are marked “seismic”…and slugs have moved from lead to zinc and other alloys to avoid the lead “issues”

'got to love special purpose stuff

Pepper

[quote=“DaveE”]
On the subject of “Industrial”, did you ever find what this one was used for? You had posted an old drawing on the archived forum and I did a model of it. Always thought it might be for a similar use (as in blasting off debris from inside a kiln).

Dave[/quote]

Grrr!! Once again my message has been deleted !

To answer your question I dont think this one s for a cement fire place because the gauge (16 Gauge) is too small.

because the after WWII customer book of Sfm has been destroyed we’ll perhaps never know the use.
if only the customer book had been destroyed !! I recently discovered than 5000 drawings and trade marks have also disappered !!
New ones (after WWII) but also very old ones (for example a 11 mm Gras ctge with the inside gold plated!)

jp

These 8 ga. rounds will be found with a number of different headstamps: INDUSTRIAL, KILM GUN; CEMENT GUN, SEISMIC,ETC. The last one is used in the oil industry to shoot down the oil well bore hole to judge the depth and type of rock, etc. Today they are all plastic hulls, of course, but they are also found in paper. They started back in about 1935. Here is a link that lists all the loads currently available from Winchester. They used to have nice pictures of all the loads, but now it is just a list.

parbst.dk/GB/sale/amo/use.html

Sorry, but my headstamp is incused (not raised), paper body.

This may be one shown in Pepper’s “little” collection, but here’s a close-up of a Dominion brand loading from Canada:

Vlad,

That’s a nice old classic. Does yours have the long extended projectile?

Dave

No, and it is heavy.