What are these?

hi all, ive recently had a bit of a clear out of my brass collection to make room for a new collection of 10g loads. ive got these left over and dont really know what they are, they seem to be round about 4 bore and have a slight roll over crimp in them. anyone got any idea as to what they are. there empty but still seem to be primed.
many thanks, steve.

i got this reply on another forum…

Right without you measuring across the cartridge with a vernier or micrometer I can’t tell you the actual bore,but I know the headstamp KNM
Kings Norton Metal Co., Birmingham, UK. This company was formed in 1890 at Kings Norton, it owned its own rolling mills and had a loading plant at Abbey wood in Kent. Cases were made in Birmingham then assembled and loaded at the Abbey Wood Factory, next to Woolwich Arsenal.

Produced .303 cartridges up to 1919 in… Armour Piercing VII.F, VII.FZ and VII.W
Ball, Cordite Mks 2, 4, 5, 6, 7
Ball, Match
Ball, Nitro-cellulose Mk 7Z
Blank Cordite Mk 5
Bulleted Blank Mk 6
Dummy, Drill Mk 3, Mk 3 Expedient, Mk 5
Explosive RTS (VII.R) Mk 2
Incendiary BIK (VII.K) Mk 1
Incendiary Buckingham (VII.B) and B Mk 3
Tracer SPG Mk VIIG Mk 1 and Mk 1Z
Experimental RTT Explosive Cartridge
Experimental Blank Cartridges
Please note that the above information was copied and pasted from another forum but knowing the headstamp aided me with what I needed to enter into google.
Mike…

steve

These are 1" cases for the so called “aiming rifles” (subcaliber barrels) as they were used by the British navy. The one with the black plastic insulation is electric primed.

As posted previously, these are cases for the 1 inch Aiming Rifle, a sub-calibre device used by both the Royal Navy and the army. The case is the same as the 1 inch Nordenfelt.

You have a couple of cases for the “Cartridge Aiming Rifle 1 inch Electric Mark IV” that used two different types of electric primer. The Mark IV KN used the Kings Norton design of primer and the Mark IVM used the Morris Patent Tube Co.design. They date from around 1897-1904.

The round had a 4345 grn lead bullet and a charge f 400 grains blackpowder. Aiming tubes continued in use right up to WW2.

This particular Mark was declared obsolete in 1914 and replaced by subsequent marks, both blackpowder and cordite.

Regards
TonyE

PS - don’t take too much notice of that site that was quoted. It is not too accurate!

You say you have cleared out and found these. If you want to get rid of them I would definitely be interested.

thanks all, that’s more of an answer than i was expecting. great stuff!. i found these in the loft, i sold the rest of my collection a while back and forgot these were up there. there’s another two different shells as well but they have no head stamps, ill try and get some photos loaded up later. id be interested in selling these to help fund the 10g collection but have no idea as to their value.
many thanks, steve.

I would say that the usual price for these at the cartridge shows in the UK would be £5 to £8 each. I’m sure other UK collectors would agree here.

Examples with their bullets in place are usually more desirable than fired cases.

Edited for typo

heres the other two i found.

These are 20 x 102mm cases for the M61 Vulcan rotary aircraft cannon. This gun used on several American aircraft such as the F-15 and F-16. Unfortunately these cases are extremely common, and usually sell for around £1 each. They can usually be found at any military collectors fair and often in antique shops and at car boot sales.